Shad in Oregon

Codfish

Contributing Member
Premium Member
City
Payette
Attached is a photo of friend Kevin with a box of 60 shad caught 5-11-07 on the Umpqua River, near Roseburg, Oregon. Pretty good day. We use them for bait to catch halibut, sturgeon, salmon and crab. They are a blast to catch on light spinning gear.

Do you guys on the east side have these fish? We had heard they are tightly controlled for catch limits. Here there is no limit. We have hundreds of thousands of them in the rivers.

Codfish

Attachments

• Shad 5-11-07 001.jpg
    Shad 5-11-07 001.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 34
yup-- there are a few around still. 10 per day and the run lasts from mar-apr here in NC. Some of my most favorite memories are of sitting on the banks of a small creek at night with a large bow net and catching them and the river herring and cooking them right on the bank in big cast iron pots........
I also use em for stripers and chum for tarpon and bull red drum

Attached is a photo of friend Kevin with a box of 60 shad caught 5-11-07 on the Umpqua River, near Roseburg, Oregon. Pretty good day. We use them for bait to catch halibut, sturgeon, salmon and crab. They are a blast to catch on light spinning gear.

Do you guys on the east side have these fish? We had heard they are tightly controlled for catch limits. Here there is no limit. We have hundreds of thousands of them in the rivers.

Codfish
You mentioned used for catching halibuut, and salmon, I can see for crabs and sturgen, but in what application do use for the hali, and salmon??

Codfish

Here in the Potomac River they are strickly catch and release. They are a blast to catch on a 5 weight fly rod. Poor mans tarpon.

Nice catch! Here in Fredericksburg we can keep Hickory Shad in the Rappahannock but not American Shad. We use the Hickory Shad and Herring for striper and catfish bait. They tear it up this time of year.

Back