Spanish fishing techniques

mudd-mann

Registered Member
OK, it's time to share some techniques and secrets for catching Spanish. With the upcoming MackFest in July some of us need some tried and true methods for finding and catching those speed demoms. I have some basic knowledge, but sure would like some specific details to help with the challenge. Bait? Lures? Rigs? Trolling setup? Trolling speeds and depths? Casting techniques? FINDING??
I know much of this stuff is 'top secret' with glass owners, but I also know that you plastic folks 'love' to share with others. Any help would be appreciated. Don

Dave has some good reccomendation on lures and set up let me add a few comments. Clark Spoons work great inshore. Have about a 30' mono leader of 2-3 oz trolling weight or #1 planner. For bigger fish use a typical king rig. Lead head for dead bait with a nose hook and stinger hook tied with #4 or #5 wire. I like cigar minows in NC but bally work well for the king options but cost a little more. Off the beach I like to use a #0 or #1 clark one on a planer one on trolling weight. Other side set with stretch and king rig with cigar minow. Better is live bait mainly menhaden (Poggy's). I troll for spanish and kings at between 2-3 knots much slower then Dave but have had succes at upto 7 and as low as drifting for both. Just have to play with speed but try starting in the 2-3 range.

Thanks for the help

Dave and Sgt. , thanks for the tips. I'm going out a few days early for the tourney and experiment a little with some of your suggestions. If anybody else is going out early too we might hook up and share thoughts. Hope to see you there. Don

Back