Speaker Noise when Engine Running

duffyt

Registered Member
City
Warrington
Installed a Clarion CDM4 w/1000AMP, 2 wakeboard speakers and subwoofer. When my engine is running, a high frequency pitch resonates in my wakeboard speakers. When engine is not running, system sounds great. Any suggestions on how to diagnose would be appreciated. Thanks!
Tim

That is alternator noise...
First I would make sure that all the engine grounds are clean and tight. Then move the radio power supply to another circuit if still present for it sounds as if it is running though the ignition switch to get power. I recommend using another bus on the fuse block, or just a straight power feed from the battery ;)

You will likely need to run a second battery for your electronics, such as fish/depth finder, GPS, and SOUND SYSTEM. Reason being that when the engine is running it causes interference and feedback with the starter battery due to the surge of power coming from the engine running. I installed a second battery under my center console. This is a deep cycle/starter battery. This is a great long lasting battery for accessories and a good back up battery. You should really not use your starter battery for more than what its intended for. You would hate to drain it with accessories. Wires will run easily under the floor board with you running a flexible cable from the rear of boat pushing it forward under the floor and coming out under the console were your other wires come out of. Then attach what wire you need to and snake them through. This is easier than some believe with the right tools (flexible steel cable). This is also a great time for you to think of installing a dual bank onboard charger, if you have not yet. This is likely the only means to fixing you problem. I had to perform this because when my fish finder/GPS were originally hooked to my starter they would shut off when ever the engine cranked and I had to start them again. This was a pain. This advise has worked wonders for me. Good luck....

Back