Noise from a 150hp Yamaha

slider99

Participating Member
City
Hillsborough
I noticed last time out that the sounds from the motor were a bit different at about 4g rpm, but wasn't sure if it was me or the motor and didn't say anything, just something to think about. Yesterday we were out on it, (191 fs w/ 150 Yamaha 4 stroke) and someone who was with me said that the motor sounded like it had a rapping noise - we were again at about 4g's - can't say if the sound went away at higher RPM's, didn't go higher. No noticeable loss in power, no fluid leaks, oil pressure is at about 80psi at that rpm ( have a Lowrance HDS-5 w/ the full engine monitoring system) and oil level is fine. It also had a very ruff idle for a few minutes when first started, first time this happened, happen a few more times but not as ruff as when it first started. Of course now I think that all the sounds coming from it are abnormal. My old boat / motor was a 25 year old Force, it had so many raspy sounds that everything sounded normal. The motor has about 30 hours on it now, could it be that as it's getting broken in it's making different sounds?

My 08 F150 on my 191FS doesn't make any "rapping noises" at any speed. I would suggest taking it for a visit to the dealer, especially since it has so few hours. I don't know how old your motor is or where you are in your warranty, but make sure you don't let the warranty run out before you get this checked. I got an extended 3 years with my motor (for a total of six), but sometimes "extended warranties" don't have the same response as the original warranty period...just my humble opinion.

Good Luck,

Fishinfool

Bought it new in February, both are 2009's. Got it at the same time as they were putting together Rory Wainer's one to ship it over to him. I'll head over on Monday and see what they think.

slider99 said:
Bought it new in February, both are 2009's. Got it at the same time as they were putting together Rory Wainer's one to ship it over to him. I'll head over on Monday and see what they think.
...mine sounds "clacky" at idle but I don't know what is normal for a Yamaha 150. I'll get the boat shop to check it.

After 4 days of playing in the sun and water, I figured out what the noise was, for most of the times out the back seat was always up, we started putting it down and there is quite a difference in engine sounds with the seat down. So it was nothing but the seat blocking out most of the engine sound. All is well and its running great.

Back