suzuki df140 impeller

red herring

Registered Member
City
Contoocook
Hi guys (& gals, too)
I'm new to this site and have already reviewed nearly all the posts as I soak up as much info as possible.

I bought a brand new 215CC last year in order to give me access to offshore fishing for stripers, cod and tuna off of NH an MA. It is not unusual to make a 30 mile run to the grounds. As you can imagine, I want to feel as confident as possible in my equipment when going out there . . .so my question surrounds the water pump impeller.

I've heard that it is an easy matter to replace the impeller myself. I've also heard the opposit. What is the real skinny on this? My manual is coming in the mail soon. I'm handy and can follow directions, but I'm not a motorhead.

I've heard that you should replace the impeller every two years. I've also heard that you really don't have to do it until the pee stream gets weak. Hmmm, 30 miles out, a Labrador current, I think I'd like to err on the conservative side but at the same time I don't want to do overkill maintenance on something that might be inherently reliable.

I appreciate your input.
Red Herring.

I too go out 30 miles routinely. I have an '04 DF140. I will be changing the impeller this spring before going out. I figure since the telltale was still strong, it could go the third year before I started worrying. The two year preventive change has always been a good idea though.

I have had zero trouble with my engine, it has about 220 hours. A great engine in my opinion.

Codfish

I also have the same engine on a2003 21cc, this past summer the pee stream did not go when I launched the boat down at Myrtle Beach. I was lucky to find a shop that replaced the impeller that day,however all through the summer the pee stream would sometimes be weak sometimes strong and sometimes several minutes before it would start at all.Later in the fall it was strongest yet and I have had no problems at all with the motor.

I have a 2002 and have been waiting for a reason to change the impellar. The stream is as strong as ever. I have a spare and repair manual and gasket. There use to be a video on the Suzuki site and on BoatTest.com that showed a complete lower end drop and impellar replacement, looked real simple.

Maybe this year I'll do it.

Back