Synthetic Oils & Blends

ramcr913

Registered Member
I have a 2 stroke 115 hp Suzuki on my 190 Bay, with oil injection and fuel injection (no carburetors). I have been using Mercury QuicSilver but I am thinking of switching to a synthetic or synthetic blend. Any issues with using a blend or full synthetic? Will there be a change in viscosity that affects the fuel injection spray?

2 stroke oil

Ram,
I have an o1 Suzuki 140 2 stroke fuel and oil injected that since I am having a hard time finding suzuki oil I am considering going with the Quicksilver. Why do you want to change from the Quicksilver, have you had problems with this oil.

P.S. How do you like your Suzuki, personally I think they are great engines.

Back when I had my 200 Yamaha HPDI I ran nothing but AMSOIL "injector" oil and had great results with it. Less smoke, plugs were always clean, and better top end performance. So my recomendation is to make sure the oil you use is rated for "injector" engines.

Inspector 2359

No, I have had no problems with Quicksilver (I use the Quicksilver Premium, actually). Read Putersharks' response- he says his Yamaha had "Less smoke, plugs were always clean, and better top end performance." Although I have had no problems, I have no way of knowing if a synthetic would be an improvement unless I try it.

I like the engine fine, it has given me no problems in the 3 1/2 years I have had it. The 3 year warranty (which I didn't need) was a comfort as well. I hope it continues to give good service. It pushes my 190 bay fully loaded with no problems.

Putershark

Putershark- Thanks for the reply. I will probably change up and see if there is a difference. Think I will make the switch , and change out the plugs. I can then do a visual comparison.
I will look for Amsoil.

Here is the information link to the oil I used in my HDPI http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/hpi.aspx and while some say it is expensive to use, wait till you see the repair bill for a blown power head :mad: besides with fuel going though the roof, it just may "Pay" to switch in increased fuel savings from the lower friction and heat build up such oils provide.

I also used / use their gear oil for my lower unit which makes it shift easier and I hear less of a clunk noise when going into gear https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/agm.aspx

And when I get more than 40 hours on my Honda 4 stroke (I have a blend it it now for break in) I will run it on their oil also. Now I should have had the break in process over with by now, but the Red Tide has been and still is, very bad in our area. So my boat (you know, that big hunk of plastic that was put their for me to mow around :p ) has been setting for weeks now (bummer) :(

Tight Lines!
Dave

Inspector

Inspector-
No I haven't had any problems with the Merc Premium. I just thought I might get better performance, or at least a cleaner burn with the synthetic. Also, I was paying around $25 a gallon for the Merc premium; I just received 2 gallons of Amsoil injector for a (delivered) cost of around $54. So the cost differential is not high. I need to run as much of the Merc oil out and then add the Amsoil. Thought about draining the oil tank to prevent blending the two but I am concerned about air bubbles- I would have to perform a bleed procedure and I would still run a gallon or two of premix through it, just to be sure. Probably could get away with not doing that, but I wouldn't take the chance.
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but to answer your other question- my Suzuki 115 seems to be a great motor, I have been running it for over 3 years and it has performed well. Love the fuel injection, starts are quick and easy and I can get off the ramp quickly. I have only owned older (carbureted) Mercs prior to this so my comparison base isn't too great. But I have neen running cars trucks and motorcycles of all types for a lot of years and I have a lot of confidence in Suzuki outboards.

I had twin Suziki 115's on a 2650 Pusuit I used to own. There is a difference in oils I recommend staying with only one type of oil. When I switched I fouled the engine and constantly clogged the screens. I flushed the entire system out and only used Yamalube afterwards and never had a problem again. Any name (major) merc, Johnson Yamaha brand will surfice. I have a two stroke motorcross bike and would never mix with synthetic. Synthetic oils do not burn well and leaves residuals. I just read up some more on Synthetic oils and they look fine. I have 100 hours on my motor and would not switch. I do know dirfferent brands have caused me an issue. :eek:

Back