tachometer problem

B

Bumpa

I'm a new 170DC owner and love the boat and the yamaha 4 stroke - but now my tachometer doesn't work. My other guages light up at night but the tach does not so I suspect it's not getting power. I've looked at the connections and all seems to be OK. Can anyone offer any suggestions?? Thanks!

One of the things you want to check is your voltmeter. Make sure that you're charging. If you are not charging, that could be the cause of the tach not working. The tach gets it's signal from the rectifier/regulator. The night light is independant of the tach signal. Perhaps you have a bad ground at the guage or a defective guage. I'm sure others will give you other perspectives. Hope this helps. Good luck

Thanks for the reply. Based upon your response, it sounds like I should take it to a dealer to have it checked out - electronics doesn't seem to be my thing! I'm also reading in the forum about hydrofoils to help get my boat on plane faster. Any experience with these? Thanks again!

Bumpa,
Your guages should be made by Faria. If so the tach should be under warranty for at least 3 years. Mine failed after 2.5 years and I sent it to Faria and had another one within six days. Great company. You did not mention what horse power your 4 stroke is. I have a 170CC with a 60hp Yamaha 4 stroke. Mine planes OK but I wanted it to plane at a lower speed for rough water days. I installed "Bobs Machine Shop" stabilizer plate. I love it! It's smaller and about the same price as the plastic "Whale Tail" brands. Check out the forums on Bobs before you buy one.

As far as stabilizers plates or trim tabs, I just ordered some Nauticus trim tabs. They are self adjusting, made of carbon fiber and cost $119 plus $18 for the Rule Elastomeric sealant. They should arrive tomorrow and I will install them this weekend and see how they perform on my 2002 Bass 170. As soon as I get the test drive over, I will post my performance results.

As far as the tachometer goes, all of my gauges were Faria, but I talked the dealer into a Suzuki tachometer when I bought the boat as I have a Suzuki 4 stroke. I have not had any problems with the Suzuki tach. I did have a problem with the fuel gauge and after buying a new Faria fuel gauge, I sent the old one back to the factory. The new one came with a lifetime warranty. However, it took Faria several months to replace the one sent to them.

Troll

Thanks for the reply. Based upon your response, it sounds like I should take it to a dealer to have it checked out - electronics doesn't seem to be my thing! I'm also reading in the forum about hydrofoils to help get my boat on plane faster. Any experience with these? Thanks again!

I have a 2004 210CC and had the same problem with Tach and Fuel gauges not working. I sent them back to Faria and they sent me news gauges. No problem. Sign Wavedancer ll

Back