Tongue weight of 215 CC on a trailer?

prowler97

Registered Member
City
Jupiter
I am interested in buying a 215 CC but I am concerned about the weight of the trailer & assembly.

Does anyone have an actual number for the tongue weight of a dual axial trailer with a 215 CC boat with a 150 HP engine?

I know that a 215 CC weights of the assembly is around 4000 lbs; which is about 500 lbs heavier then my class III hitch allows. I am not concerned about weight as much as the tongue weight. I am concerned that too much tongue weight could twist the frame on my Unibody SUV.

The tongue weight can vary, but if my 195 set up is any example, EZ Loader has the axles back too far for our boats. When I bought the boat, the tongue wt was a little over 700 lbs. I loosened the U-bolts and moved my axles about 7" forward to get a 300 lb tongue wt.

Tongue weight can be adjusted but i tow my 215 with a diesel ford f250 or a Toyota Sequoia, I can feel that boat back there on both and I think you should be very concerned about hitch capacity and tow capacity of vehicle. You have to include all gear, fluids, trailer and boat engine when figuring the weight. Full size truck or SUV is a must or you may have a boat and trailer that controls the tow vehicle creating a very dangerous situation.

You should have 5-10% of total trailer weight on the tongue per ez loader http://www.ezloader.com. You can use weight distribution hitches to carry more weight if your tow vehicle can handle it....but unibody suggests to me that you may be exceeding the GCVWR

The tongue weight can vary, but if my 195 set up is any example, EZ Loader has the axles back too far for our boats. When I bought the boat, the tongue wt was a little over 700 lbs. I loosened the U-bolts and moved my axles about 7" forward to get a 300 lb tongue wt.

Trailer MFG are just that...those who load the trailers should make adjustments to final positioning, in this case Triumph or the dealer should have corrected the setup to a proper configuration.

Trailer MFG are just that...those who load the trailers should make adjustments to final positioning, in this case Triumph or the dealer should have corrected the setup to a proper configuration.

Yeah, I know.....and they did adjust the tongue weight, which I insisted on since I was towing it 1200 miles from the dealer to my home. However, they adjusted it by moving the winch stand back as far as they could (around 4") to get a 500# TW. This of course, put the transom overhanging the bunk by a couple inches. So I had to redo the setup when I got home.

HMMM...Those darn NC delaers:rolleyes:...its hard to find people that do things correctly:mad:.

Aw, at least y'all got dealers. They're a rarity around here. I'm kind of on my own. But that's okay....I love the boat, man!! I always take care of my own stuff, anyway.

One thing to check is that the bow is all the way up on the front support. If not the boat will bounce around on the trailer and create instability problems. And of course bringing the boat forward increases the tongue weight.

Moving the boat back to reduce tongue weight is not good from what I read on another post. It may not leave enough bunk support under the transom and cause too much strain on the transom. And the boat will bounce around too much if not contacting the front support firmly.

On another point does anyone know of a good rear view mirror system to see around the back of the boat on a mid-size SUV like an explorer? A whole July 4th parade could hide back there with the stock mirrors. And I have tried the plastic slip over extender mirrors and they help very little.

Ive been towing my 07' 215cc behind a 2003 Dodge Dakota V8 for going on 5 years now without a single problem. I have however, been anal about rear diff lube'age.

A month ago I treated myself to a new Ford F150 FX4 longbed. And WOW, what a difference the added vehicle weight and tourque made. I almost cant tell I have something in tow. Still havent figured out how to use the electronic tow brake though.

Still havent figured out how to use the electronic tow brake though.

Unless you added electric brakes to your trailer you wouldn't use an electronic controller and if you did they wont last if your dipping them into water

Back