Trailer Lubrication

OspreyVic

Contributing Member
City
Osprey
In that I just replaced all the old grease in my Posi-Lube spindles, thought I might pass on this reminder to others.

LUBRICATION INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Remove rubber expansion access cap. Also called "Posi-Lube Rubber Plugs." It is probably a good idea to have a couple of spare plugs.

2. Pump non-fibrous grease through grease fitting until new grease appears in dust cap reservoir. (Maximum efficiency achieved with single rotation of hub during greasing operation.) We use Amsoil Synthetic Water Resistant Grease – 14 oz Cartridge.

3. Remove excess grease from dust cap reservoir.

4. Replace rubber expansion access cap.

5. After every launch, give two or three pumps of grease to each wheel.

6. On an annual basis, pump all the old grease out, and replace with new -- OR -- pump till nothing but new grease comes out.

Attachments

• Trailer Lube 2.jpg
    Trailer Lube 2.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 46
OspreyVic, aren't you afraid if you give 2 or 3 pumps after every launch that you could blow out rear seal?

No problem's yet (knock on plastic). I just try to go slow and easy. Went thru about 3 1/2 14 oz tubes getting all the old grease replaced with new yesterday. I really do not want to leave salt water where it can do damage.

Same here,
I usually give it a couple of pumps after each trip and use the white marine grease that you can find at WalMart in the boating section. Only problem with using that type of grease though is the color... It is white, thus it looks as if it has water in it (milky) most of the time when in fact it really does not ;)
I also take the extra grease that I wipe off with the rag, and use to to help coat the trailer's mag wheels to help keep them from pitting.

I was told before each launch you should check the reservoir and pump untill the flange moves.

Back