Trailer problem

Dream Catcher

Registered Member
City
Melbourne Beach
I own a 2002 170 Bass which is great once in the water. When loading it on my trailer it slides left on to the fender well. I have measured all of the planks and they are evenly spaced. I always have to try to get the trailer just far enough into the water so the boat is slightly bouyant so I can push it over. This happens on any ramp. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Any ideas?

Dream Catcher

Kind of hard to explain, but I would tilt the bunks more inboard to match the shape of the hull and see if that stops it from sliding to port ;)

It might be that you are backing down too far into the water. The way I do it with my 170CC is back down so water covers the bunks to lubricate them and then pull out so the top 1/3 of them is out of the water (usually the top of the fenders will be out of the water). When I pull the boat up I center it on the two middle bunks at idle, straighten the boat out if needed, then give it enough throttle to push it up on the trailer. There's really no way for the boat to go anywhere else but straight up and centered on the trailer. I hope this helps.

I would suggest trying loading with the trailer at different depths before making any adjustments to the bunks. I was having problems centering my 170DC when loading on the trailer as well, and finally figured out that I was backing the trailer too far into the water. With my Easy Loader, I back in until the top of the fenders are just under water to launch, but when loading it works best if I just bring the water to the bottom of the fender. This leaves about 1/3 of the bunks out of the water, and allows them to guide the boat better.

Ron

Back