Trailer Width

Haven't had the experience. If you have a wide trailer you need to go to the state DOT and get a permit. I saw this just a while back and for MA the permit was like $15 and has set time limits (x no. of days)

Haven't had the experience. If you have a wide trailer you need to go to the state DOT and get a permit. I saw this just a while back and for MA the permit was like $15 and has set time limits (x no. of days)

Thanks. We have a similar arrangement in Australia but it would be a bit of a hassle to get a temporary permit every time I want to tow the boat. I'll need to get a narrow trailer or have the current one reduced (if possible).

BTW, how wide is your trailer?

MA reg is 8 1/2ft and Triumph reports that the 215CC beam width is 8 1/2 ft. The trailer is under 8' but I've never actually measured. I'd go out and measure now but not parked in my yard this winter.

Rory,
I live in North Carolina and they just changed our overwidth laws. I have a 195CC and its the same as BeeReels 215.Its 102 inches wide and the trailer with guide post on the back is the same 102 inches. I measured it a while back when our state was giving tickets for overwidth boat trailers.

Rory,
I live in North Carolina and they just changed our overwidth laws. I have a 195CC and its the same as BeeReels 215.Its 102 inches wide and the trailer with guide post on the back is the same 102 inches. I measured it a while back when our state was giving tickets for overwidth boat trailers.

Many thanks. I was just looking at my current boat (190Bay) and it also has a sticker warning that it is over-sided at 102". Wonder how it got past the local authorities? Maybe a crate of beer helped ;)

Anyway Chad at Merritt Marine is going to look into the trailer width issue for the new 191FS.

I can't speak to what the legal width is in Australia, but in both Canada and the U.S., the legal limit for all vehicles and trailers is 102". Being in the business of transportation, including over-dimensional loads, we deal with this regularly.

Yeah Rory ... mine is registered in NSW, but I have been told not to let the rego lapse as it would probably just fail the maximum width test.

Hope Chad can get it sorted for you.

Yeah Rory ... mine is registered in NSW, but I have been told not to let the rego lapse as it would probably just fail the maximum width test.

Hope Chad can get it sorted for you.

Thanks. Got a note from Chad yesterday saying he thinks he can make it work. I also noticed the same "extra wide" warning on the 190 Bay trailer but they switch the wheels, etc over & fitted surge brakes locally before it was registered. I lost the nice oil filled bearings in the process & ended up something that looks very rust-able. I'm not sure the mixing & matching of local parts with the EZLoader trailer is the perfect solution. Fortunately the new trailer comes with brakes, but I'll have to switch the hitch.

I also bought a good tow vehicle & had my first go at towing the boat last week - not the drama I thought it would be (hardly even noticed it behind the truck). I currently have a service that puts the boat in & out of the water with a tractor (at $30 a day), but plan to learn this too when the summer tourists thin out.

I took the 190 Bay out into Bass Straight for the first time recently - its way different out there in the open ocean from nice little Westernport Bay. That trip sure helped make up my mind to get a bit bigger boat with a deeper V (even if I spend 99.99% of the time in the bay).

I'll write up a summary of the import & localisation process once I've got the 191 safely here & registered.

Rory,
If you are looking for a larger rig, why not have Merritt ship Vic's fully tricked out 215 down to you? That is a lot of boat for the money ;)

Rory,
If you are looking for a larger rig, why not have Merritt ship Vic's fully tricked out 215 down to you? That is a lot of boat for the money ;)

Yep that sure is a lot of boat, but it won't fit the spec. Long story, but unlike my purchase of the 190 I got the family involved this time. They definitely did not want another CC (sun, wind, rear fishing layout, etc, etc). For awhile it looked like we were going to end up with a non-Triumph walkaround, but they spotted a DC at one of the many boat shops we visited. It wasn't a Triumph, but they were all 100% sold on the layout. A happy boating family means more time on the water...and therefore more fishing time.

For whatever reasons, the DC design optimizes the rear working space & leaves the front of the boat for relaxing. We anchor up in the bay & because of the strong tides, fishing can only really be done from the back of the boat - this leave us at the back of the boat fishing & the kids up the front, reading, sleeping, fighting, etc. The DC works better for this approach than a CC. Plus with a bit of extra canvas, we will get more wind protection too...which translates to longer fishing time.

Fortunately, Triumph had various DCs to choose from, with the biggest being either a 191FS or 195DC. Both boats fitted the bill, but the flip over seat won the day for 191.

Hope it all works to plan...and I expect my next next boat to be a 235DC ;)

Back