transducer location and cable routing

Harper

Recognized Leader Triumph 191/195 Forum
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
State
Republic of Texas
'Bout time I got some more gear on my boat. Later this month, I'll be installing a Garmin 546s. Two questions to which I couldn't find a definitive answer in previous threads. First one is not specific to any model.... I know a lot of you have sounders. In reading the installation instructions for the unit, it specifically says (twice!) not to run the cable near other wires because of possible interference. Every wire running from the console to the transom on my boat goes through a 2" conduit. Am I to believe that none of you folks have used that conduit to run the transducer cable? Or is it a non-issue?

Second question is specific to 195s... both the CC and the DC have the livewell intake on the starboard side, a couple feet forward of the stern. So I'm assuming that on our boats, it's best to mount on the port side. Anyone done differently?

Just thought of one more question while I'm here... is the internal antenna on the Garmin adequate under a T-top, or should I opt for an external mounted up top?

Thanks y'all........

Mike,
I ran the cables through the 2" conduit with no problems. I mounted the transducer on the port side so it would not get turbulant water form the livewell pickup. My Garmin 545S is crystal clear at wide open trottle. I would get the external antenna because of the T-top.Have you thought about getting the XM weather antenna and subscribing to the weather.I would go that route if I do it again. We get a lot of storms here in the summer.Everyone speaks highly of the XM/Sirrius weather option.

Good Morning John,

I knew I could count on you, as a fellow 195 owner, for a quick answer. :D Yep, I am thinking about the XM subscription, kind of pricey, but could well be worth it as I figure on venturing farther out from shore. Right now, I'd just settle for a break in these arctic fronts rolling in every 2-3 days! :( Thanks, John......

Look under 170CC for a thread on electrical issues. I had a problem with the VHF affecting the depth sounder when transmitting at high power (25 watts).

Look under 170CC for a thread on electrical issues. I had a problem with the VHF affecting the depth sounder when transmitting at high power (25 watts).

Yessir, I saw that post. I will definitely keep my radio and coax away from everything! The radio will be next, and I'm leaning toward a 3' whip (GAM SS-2) mounted atop a 4' extension on a ratchet mount on the T-top.

I also have some photos of the antenna mounted on a four foot extension. When the seas are more than 1 foot though, I fold it down cause is sure does move/bounce around.

Back