Thru hull transducer mounting

jtaylor1

Registered Member
City
Bertram
I don't see much discussion here about thru hull / in hull mounting of transducers. Is this because they will not shoot thru the hull material used on our boats or is it because they are too hard to mount in this fashion? I ask because I really like to have a fish/depth finder on the front of my boat that I can see when I am up front running the trolling motor like a bass/crappie fisherman - problem is I have a wireless motorguide trolling motor and you can't just run the transducer cable down the shaft like with a normal trolling motor because the shaft slides up and down thru the mounting bracket when you stow and deploy. Any advice would be appreciated.

There are a number of posts about thru hull transducers. You cannot use them on Roplene boats. You can only mount transom mounted transducers.

One of the major downsides to owning a triumph is not being able to use a thru hull ducer. When I called the factory and asked some questions about the subject and engineering pertaining to it, the only answer was "you can't.... it will void the warranty" I tried asking questions regarding the specific area of solid plastic the factory uses for thru-hull penetrations only to come up with the same response. Really lame! They claim to make such a hardcore boat, then why not make it be capable of being rigged with some decent technology to do the job right. As you can see this is a major frustration mine, and I believe a major limitation to the triumph.

I really like to have a fish/depth finder on the front of my boat that I can see when I am up front running the trolling motor like a bass/crappie fisherman - problem is I have a wireless motorguide trolling motor and you can't just run the transducer cable down the shaft like with a normal trolling motor because the shaft slides up and down thru the mounting bracket when you stow and deploy. Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm not sure of the setup on the 191F/S. Do you have the front fish boxes and do they drain directly out of the hull? The reason I ask is that you may be able to use the drain hole to mount a through hull style transducer like this one:

http://www.boatersworld.com/product/316342286.htm

I'm just trying to brainstorm here...something similar may work.

I don't see it as much of a warranty issue as I would a performance issue... These hulls flex and as such, one could get a air pocket under the transducer and the hull, thus the sonar would become pretty much useless ;)

Back