Cable routing

captfrog

Registered Member
City
North Muskegon
State
MI
I have a 2013 Triumph 186FS and will be replacing the Lowrance fish finder that came with the boat. My question is what’s I’ll be the best way to run the new transducer cable. I’ve read where people just attach the new cable to the old one and pull it through. In this case, however, this would not work since the cables are attached to the transducers. That means that the original cable
can be pulled out but the new one has to go the other way. Will attaching a line to the original cable be the best way to then attach the new cable to be pulled back? Is the cable run along the starboard side fairly clear and open?

This question may have been answered in another forum but I was not able to find it as it relates to my model and apologize if it was. Thanks for your thought insights!

That's exactly how you do it. Disconnect the transducer cable from your display, tie a fish line to it, maybe even some black tape around it just to make sure it doesn't come apart. Then pull it from the transducer through the hull. That leaves you a line to tie the new one and pull it back in. just be patient with it, sometimes those spaces are a little tight but it will work.

And my better advice is to then tie yet another fish line when you pull the new cable in. Then leave the new fish line in place. next time you need to draw a line forward or aft inside the boat, the fish line will already be there for you.

Also helps to wipe the cable down with oil before pulling it thru. Helps it slide thru those tight spots.

If you were going to use a lube of some sort, use WD-40 or a Dawn dish soap solution with water. You want that to eventually dissipate and go away. Oil will stay there and I suspect would attract dirt and potentially cause problems.

wire pulling gel works great when replacing wires or cable. Used it on my 190 bay, very slick. Can be found at Lowes or any electrical supply.

Back