Recognized Leader and Retriver Guru
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Lakeside
State
Ca
Hi All,
Since I have leaking wheel cylinders. I went out to get estimates from various shops, even though I could do the work. I wanted to see how much it would cost me to have someone do the work. Roughly $ 285 -$ 300. That includes re-pack of bearings re-hone of wheel cylinders. Extra if pads are needed. Both places did confirm that with salt water brakes and cylinders can go bad even after 1 to 3 years. SOOOooo It was brought to my attention of disc brakes. All is exposed for easy cleaning, and easy to apply salt away. So pads may need changed every 5-10 years depending on how much you use. Price for the upgrade is $ 248. plus 1,5 hours labor = $ 127.50 grand total of $ 375.5. So for approx $ 90 - $ 100. more. I get a great brake system that last longer than 3 years with little maintenance.

That was an easy choice, disk brakes is the way to fly :D All part of my "Hitch and Go" theory of boating! When I get the time to go, I don't want to be wasting time messing with the gear... I don't care if it cost me a little more money to have that luxury. I also like that idea that somebody posted about rinsing them off (the disk brakes) after a salt water dunking with soapy water from a pressurized large weed killer can kept in the truck...

Now while they have 2 of the 4 tires off, I would spend a little more to have them all balanced at the same time. Just might help fend of future bearing and tires failures, and it will tow a lot smoother (win-win) at the same time.

Dave

You know we really got to meet. you always have great Ideas. :D

Would love too Brother! My next business trip to the left coast (never know when that will be though), I will see if we can at least go and have some Java or Dinner for sure :)

Dave

wow great idea genelie where did you get the quote for the brake conversion?

Quote and it was installed. @ F E trailers . thats located down here in El Cajon California.
Best thing I ever did. it STOPS SO MUCH BETTER

Good deal,
Now how about towing and how smooth is it now? Did you manage to get those tires all balanced and if so, just how much weight was needed (most take a lot to most people's surprise) to do such?

Just wondering :confused:

Never did the tire balance, too me it is not so important. I do not fill anything back there. not that there may not be some unbalance issue. I have had the trailer now for 4 years and there is NO un even ware on the tires. AS for how she tows, I have not had it out except for the trip back to my house, But I did notice that the trailer NO longer Jerks when the actuator ingages.

hey genelie

how are the disc brakes working out .. i just dropped 500+ material cost to boaters world for 2 new stainless steel disc complete units with new lines and actuator. i plan to do the replacement myself, so i will personally know how the system works
just curious how you like yours over the drum style.

Spend the EXTRA$$$$ for the Stainless Steel. You'll spend twice as much however it will pay off int the long run...

hey genelie

how are the disc brakes working out .. i just dropped 500+ material cost to boaters world for 2 new stainless steel disc complete units with new lines and actuator. i plan to do the replacement myself, so i will personally know how the system works
just curious how you like yours over the drum style.

working just fine....I did not go with stainless, but with a different alloy, like I said I spray salt away, after launching and after re trailering, and then again when I get home. all is good. HOWEVER one good thing I noticed...backing up before, if you did not disengage the actuator, it would still back up, NOW if you do not..you are not going anywhere.

Back