What length replacement Winch Strap for 195CC?

Katsuo

Participating Member
City
Simi Valley
State
SoCal
My winch strap broke this past weekend as I was pulling my 195CC out of the water. Anyone know how long the replacement winch strap needs to be? I see 15', 20' and 25' lengths are available, in a 2" width.

Length might depend on your usual launch ramp conditions (also spool capacity). But the ramps I normally use, for instance, never require me to use more than about 5' of strap ever. I usually drive the boat right up onto the trailer to within inches of the front bump roller. And during launch, the ramp is not so steep as to have to even use the strap...I just loosen it enough to unhook, and push the boat off enough to get in if I'm alone and power it off the rest of the way. But I imagine that different ramp slopes and launch area conditions might require considerably more actual winching of the boat, and consequently more strap.

Thanks Harper... That's been my experience as well, however I'm sure there is probably a minimum number of "wraps" on the spool to avoid slippage, and I know there's a max capacity on the spool that would not be good to exceed because the strap gets jammed. My problem is I can't measure the old strap because I don't have access to the boat as it is stored offsite. My first opportunity to have access will be this weekend, when I'd like to be taking it out fishing.

This may not be an issue for you, but when I take my 21 off the trailer to do maintenance or mods on the hull or the trailer, it makes it much easier to pull the trailer back under the boat with the winch. For that you need the strap to reach the whole length of the trailer. Just food for thought.

That's interesting, Bill. How do you transfer the boat from the trailer to (insert wherever you put the boat here:D). And you just winch it back on from whatever you have it sitting on? That would be useful information for when work is needed on the trailer, as I am nowhere near any water to float the boat for trailer maintenance.

I place a vehicle behind the boat and strap it to the transom. I then pull the trailer out enough to block the rear of the boat.(block it up slightly higher to remove the weight from the trailer) Then continue to pull the trailer until the the front curve of the keel reaches the rear of the trailer. I then use my floor jack to raise the keel up off the trailer and block the keel with blocks and wood. Pull the trailer out and done. Putting it on is easier. Unhitch the trailer and roll it into position. Attach the winch strap and while you crank it the trailer will pull itself back under the boat. Piece of cake. I've had mine off many times. Just take it slow and don't rush it. Also use some soap & water on the bunks sliding it back on. :D

Thanks.....guess I should check to see just how much strap I've got on the winch....may need it someday.

Had the boat out this weekend, and measured the old (broken) winch strap. It was about 20 feet long.

20'........just enough, eh?

Back