Yamaha Overheating

No Fences

Registered Member
I took the boat out today. The overheating buzzer started sounding. Water was streaming out like normal. Nothing was blocking the intake. Then I noticed the stream of water had quit at idle. I put it in gear and I increased the idle and the stream started flowing again ? It continued to flow as long as I kept the RPMS up but only high enough to run about 2 knots. Any ideas would be appreciated. It only has 75 hours and its 1 yr old ?

Thanks

I would look for a kink in hose or obstruction you may have sucked something up do you have the hose fitting that screws fast to bottom of cowl? if so remove it and see if there is anything in there. It may be a problem with your water pump in your lower unit but sounds like an obstruction.

I would try another test run to see if it is an ongoing problem or if it had cleared itself. If it is still a problem and it is a year old I would take it in under warranty.

it still under warranty, and I will take it in. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced similiar problems on thier Yamaha outboards ? I didn't think it was the impellar because it ran fine in gear with the rpms up. It just quit streaming water in idle, and the temp buzzer would sound. Thaks for the replies.

I had this problem also. '05 150 yam would get hot at idle and sound the alarm. It was the propeller pump on the lower shaft that forces the water up into the engine was wearing out. Dealer (Under Warranty) put new one on in 30min and it runs great.

That's what mine wound up being also. Unforunately, my dealer didn't cover it .

Thanks for the reply.

No Fences, Hours don't mean anything with a pump impeller. All it takes is to run some sand or mud through it from running in the shallows or starting the engine with out having water hooked up. I see people start there engines dry before they back it in the water all the time. (I quess that they are checking there battery) Then I'll see them at the marina because the temp alarm is going off at idle. Im not saying that you have done any of the above. All im saying is that it doest take much to damage a pump imprller and cause the systems in your discription.

Back