2006 Yamaha F75 Squeaking

Stoney

Participating Member
City
Marshfield
Hey Guys. I have a 2006 Yamaha 75 with about 100 hours on it. It performs great on my 170cc. I did notice about a week ago that only when it is in the water, warmed up, and either in gear or neutral a squeaking sound like belts on a car starts to come from the motor. Has anyone else ever experienced this issue?

-Stoney-

I have the same problem with my F150, I had asked someone and they said its normal but its scaring me away from heading offshore. Please post if you have any luck finding the cause of the noise.

In theory,
Really not much difference between the 2 engines (just materials and configurations) between a 4 stroke Outboard and a Automotive engine. First thing I would check would be the alternator belt adjustment and or alternator shaft bearing making noise. Then either adjust the alternator belt, or have the alternator replaced (if still under warranty) to help kill the shaft bearing noise ;)

If not under warranty and the belt adjustment does not correct, I have seen alternators last a very long time with a little squeak from the shaft bearing before they fail and unless real loud, I would not worry much about it as long as the belt is adjusted corrected and not getting real hot and or slipping from the bearing locking up :)

Hey Stoney,

My 75hp just started doing the same thing. I have 180 hours on the motor. About 3 weeks ago I ran into a sand bar (or I should say mud bar) and was kicking up lots and lots of mud. I have a feeling I sucked in some grit and messed up my water pump and that is what the squeaking sound is. It does sound like a belt and it goes away if you up the RPM's. I don't believe there are any belts on the motor and the only rubber would be the water pump. My motor is out of warranty, so I would have to cover the cost to have it fixed unless I do it myself. Let me know what you find out about your squeak!!!!

Greenapple

I have the same thing going on my 06 150. She is in the shop for her 200 hr service and the tech says he is seeing more of this. He tells me its a shaft bearing is seating and should not be a problem. He says he sees it go away at about 250 hrs. So I am counting. Also I should note that it has been doing it since it was new. But now less frequently than before and it always goes away when I throttle up.

Hey Guys,
I dropped my 170 off at the dealer today. Hope to have it back by Monday. The techs are going to go through the whole engine so I will keep you all posted with their finds. I did not hit any sand or mud. I baby my boat completely. The only thing I did was recently add "Ring Free", but I doubt that has anything to do with it. I'm just glad to hear it is not just me.

-Stoney-

The noise you're hearing is a wiper seal (bushing) on the shaft in the lower part of the outboard leg. If you look under the engine pan at the front of the leg, You'll see a small opening that leaves a small part of the drive shaft exposed. This noise appears after the engine warms up. Alot of the dealers that sell Yamaha engines on boats but are not certified techs are not familiar with it. I discovered the cause on another forum back in '03 after brainstorming with alot of guys across the country. If you spray a lube like WD-40 04 silicone into the area until it runs down the shaft, it will quiet it. One thing to remember is to spray the area when you flush your motor after each use. The noise is unnerving and a nuisance at worst but it is not a problem. It will dissappear after some hours of use. I had the same noise on my F225 engines. So far after 725 hours, the still run like a swiss clock. Here's a picture of the area in question taken of my engine. If you look just beyond the head of the bolt, you will see the drive shaft. The only belt is the timing belt and that's a cogged belt that won't normally slip. Hope this helps and calms any panic and fears.

Attachments

• shaft1.jpg
    shaft1.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 36
Picked my 170cc up from the dealer today. Dealer said it was that bushing that "Mud Runner" mentioned. It is supposed to be water lubricated, but even minor friction causes the metal shaft to rub against the rubber bushing and thus the squeaking noise. Yamaha recommends greasing it heavily with marine grease. This actually needs to be done inside of the unit so the lower unit needs to be dropped. Yamaha tech said if I do this once per season I should be good to go. I haven't got her in the water yet, but I will this weekend hopefully squeak-free.

-Stoney-

Went for a ride tonight and ran it at high and low RPM's...so far so good.:)

-Stoney-

Mr. Mud Runner,
Used some WD-40 yesterday and the noise went away!!! Thanks for the info. Come this fall I will drop the lower unit (still need to check/replace water pump) and regrease like Stoney said.

Greenapple

Back