150 Four Stroke Drive shaft advice needed

hb todd

Registered Member
City
Huntington Beach
Help and advice needed--:confused:. I was changing out the F150 impeller for it yearly maint. and found the woodruff pin that holds the impeller was frozen solid to the shaft. Having the pin frozen solid to the shaft prevented me from removing the bottom steel plate. Trust me, the pin would not move at all. It looks like the shaft will need to be replaced as I didn't want to just put the new impeller back on over the old plate due to it being damaged. Can a new slot on the shaft be cut in for a new pin and the old cut and welded or is it just better to get another shaft? If I have to get another shaft where is the best place to get one? Any help is appreciated-Thanks!

Would you consider using a Dremel tool and grind a slot down the center of the pin then collapse it upon itself without touching the side walls of the slot?

Soaking the pin with nut/bolt loosener and the vibration of the grinding might loosen it as well.

Possibly sharpen the end of a flat head screw driver with a file and hammer it out? Try to use any heat?

Is this a Suzuki Motor, I've got a service manual I could check? That darn pin should come out w/o replacing the shaft.........I order my Zuke stuff from Browns Point Marina online.

Been there, done that :(

First, soak it down with some of this stuff for a day or two

101077_front500.jpg

And then if needed and after it is wiped off, put some "heat" to it from a propane torch while rapping on it from a light weight hammer (so you don't mar the main shaft) and it should pop right off ;)

Thanks guys, I will try your advice. Have a great Sunday, I just wish I was on the water....:D

If his liquid wrench stuff doesn't work I would try that first suggestion with a small slitting disc right down the center this should keep you from hitting sides of slot. I am a machinist by trade and I believe that will be your best way

Hey guys, this is chad with merritt marine. This happens more often than you know. What you do is take a cold chisel and hit it in the center to try and split the key. This should take care of it. Let me know if you have any questions.

Chad

Back