2004 191 Fish/Ski Bimini Question

Blckbeard

Registered Member
City
Clemmons
Just purchased a gently used 2004 F/S and so far realy like it. To trailer the boat right now I have to completely remove the Bimini due to the configuration of the poles and the bracket...it won't sit flat once you lay it down and the only solution is to flip it or remove it. Anyone have any suggestions. I am looking for a new bracket or something like that. Has anyone else run into this situation?

Im fairly new so I may not be the best at this but this may be something to look at. I had a bow dodger installed on my 215. Its a small binini top that covers my son if he naps on the boat. Well, when the dealer put it on it would not close all the way and fit into the zippered cover. He had to go back and actually shorten two of the tubes so it would fit. Just something to consider but you know the rule...measure 8 or 9 times and cut once.:D

Bimini top

Don't know if 2007 191FS is same as 04, but ours has 2 thumbscrews that mount the short rods in front to the windshield frame. My dealer says you have to trailer it in the up position. Mine does not fold down toward the back either - would be nice if the hinge was configured to let it lie flat toward the back though huh?

I am looking for a fix now and will post what I find and pictures when I determine the best solution. I am looking for new brackets that will move that eye hole up an inch and that will allow the supports to be laid back flat for storage without having to remove and flip. Worst case I am planning on finding a block of nylon plastic and contruct something. Will keep you posted and if anyone has a better idea...we are listening.

Bimini top lies flat now

I got this one figured out:

I ordered a 2' piece of 1-1/2 stainless square tubing from http://www.speedymetals.com .

I cut a piece about 4" long and put it under the bimini bracket.

How to: Cut each end of the 4" piece on about a 22.5 degree angle leaving a big enough flat area on top to mount the bimini bracket that you already have. Screw the bracket to the boat and the bimini will then lay back flat. I am inserting a crude drawing of what this will look like - hope it is viewable.

Attachments

• Bimini lift kit.JPG
    Bimini lift kit.JPG
    11.8 KB · Views: 59
Re: '2004 191 Fish/Ski Bimini Question'

That's a great idea...please send a photo when you can...would like to see the end result. I have often thought of doing it this way myself.

Bill

I took mine to a guy that does canvas covers for boats and he put mine on a slider system and it allows to lay flat. He might have done something else but I can not tell.

Photos of bimini modification

Thanks to Jtaylor1 for the idea of the square stainless tube used for stand-offs to allow you to fold down the bimini top.

I followed his directions for my 191FS, and it worked out well. It was a little more work than I thought, since I haven't worked with stainless much before (I guess I'm spoiled by the simplicity of working with aluminum). In retrospect, I probably could have used a 1" square tube instead of 1.5" to get the required clearance. Folding the bimini down worked out perfectly... it just clears the rear seats, and still allows the engine to tilt forward all the way.

Here are pictures of the mod.

Attachments

• Bimini1.jpg
    Bimini1.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Bimini3.jpg
    Bimini3.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Bimini4.jpg
    Bimini4.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 33
Back