2007 215CC trailer leaf replacement (double axle)

micaheli

Participating Member
Premium Member
State
OR
I've looked around and found one other decent post about this topic, but the recommendation was basically "just go buy another axle". I can't afford that this go around and my axles appear in pretty good shape and also recently got new brakes and bearings, so I'm looking to replace just the leafs. One side is sagging pretty bad, to the point where the clearance under the fenders is pretty small.

Is there a spec sheet somewhere that shows which leaf kits work for this trailer? Is there a good aftermarket spring set that works? What lb leafs should I get? I guess I have a lot of questions and I'm no expert on this part. I've replaced leafs on my old jeep, but that was an add-to-cart solution and there doesn't appear to be something like that for this trailer.

The trailer in question is the pseudo aluminum "Triumph" branded trailer - double axle.

Thanks in advance!

You should be able to tell what leaf springs you have just by looking at them and measuring them. They go by length, number of leaves and the design of the ends - whether there are eyes or "slipper' style ends on the springs. I have rebuilt several trailers using these specs (including for Triumph/Logic boats) and never had a problem. I believe (but could be wrong) the number of leaves determines the weight capacity and all springs with the same number of leaves have the same weight capacity.

It might be quite a bit less expensive to purchase your springs somewhere local to you because of shipping costs. Another thing that kind of surprised me is that many of the parts used to hang the springs and bunks are far cheaper ordering from Walmart and having them shipped to the store, than ordering from a trailer store.

Good luck on your rebuild.

Is it worth it to keep the slipper style "open eye" spring that exist on the trailer or get a shackle style spring and shackles+a more modern equalizer style? It doesn't seem much more costly to get the extra tackle and closed-eye style springs.

I've done a little more poking around on my trailer and I'm happy to report that the leafs (and perhaps some slightly aging bunks) are the only worn items. I have brand new disc brakes, new surge setup (all dexter), the axles are in good condition, so I feel good about just doing the leaf replacement this time.

Back