215CC Trim Tabs ?

JJ215CC

Registered Member
City
Virginia Beach
I have seen posts on here about trims tabs, I was wondering if anyone has pictures of how they ran the hydraulic lines through the transom on the 215CC. I am looking at the Bennett M-120 packages. Thanks in advance.

James

Bennett's run the hydraulic fluid thru the inside of the top end of the actuator hinge, so you have to have access thru the transom at that point. While not impossible, it is a difficult spot to get to on a 215CC.

My guess is most use "Lenco tabs", which are electric (no hydraulic lines). That way you can run the wiring thru the transom more conveniently. You may even consider "Insta-Trim" which run their hydraulic lines outside of the actuators which allows you to route the hydraulic lines higher up the transom.

And finally there are Smart Tabs which are non-hydraulic - automatic, spring-loaded tabs that adjust a preset amount as the boat moves forward.

The real questions you need to ask yourself first, is why you feel you need trim tabs? And is there maybe an easier way to correct whatever it is your trying to improve or correct? :cool:

Last edited:
i realy dont see a need for them on my boat..to small of a boat....they might help when your out on the water in a good wind to level up the boat are for some reason you have a lot of weight on one side.

bill, i guess trims tabs would help you get on plane faster right? but my boat has a good hole shot. i dont want to get where i am going fast i just want to get there safe.:cool:

The reason is to make a smoother ride while out in the ocean/bay. My wife has a broken back and I have to travel slower then the average due to her condition and the sea conditions. If I can get the bow down and move through the waves without high bounces then that is what I am trying to accomplish. That being said, based on everything I have read this will at least make it a better ride for her when she goes out with me.

very good reason jj.i do know the cost of some of them are high and i do know like bill said that most people use lenco.i dont know the reason for that.sounds like you need to get some trims tabs good luck with it and send some pics too when all is done..

Thanks Glehav, I will. I can see where the Lenco may be easier to install since they are electric. It will cost me less then getting rid of the wife....:p

OK JJ, sounds like your main need is to get the bow down at slower speeds for a smoother ride. While trim tabs will certainly help with that, the motor itself has a significant amount of control over the boat's trim attitude. (bow up or down)

Another way to help improve trim attitude control and increase holeshot at slower speeds is to install a stabilizer trim plate on the motor. Very easy to do, less cost and extremely effective. It gives the motor more bite and subsequently more control over the boat's trim attitude. Plus the performance gains offset the drag losses a little better than trim tabs. Best part is it works all the time with no moving parts to fail or leak.

Here is a link to a popular model that is inexpensive and can be ordered online. four bolts and you're done. Food for thought. :cool:

https://bobsmachine.com/product/true-tracker-stabilizer-plate-90-hp/

Push&Pull,
That may be an option, I was looking at boat today and before hand I thought I would have room with the swim platform I have, but after further investigation, if I install trim Tabs, the swim platform would have to go. Guess it really up to what I want to do at this point.

So I did it!

I went ahead and mounted trim Tabs. 12 x 12 edge mount. Here are the pictures. I had to modify swim platform slightly. Mount switch left of throttle.

Attachments

• Starboard side 2.jpg
    Starboard side 2.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Starboard Side.jpg
    Starboard Side.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Portside bildge.jpg
    Portside bildge.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Port side.jpg
    Port side.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 48
  • Portside 2.jpg
    Portside 2.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 48
james , have you took your boat out with the new trim tabs? lets us know how they work for you.

Push&Pull,
The website for the stabilizers indicates "not recommended for offshore". You had any problems with it? Why would that be an issue?

Push&Pull,
The website for the stabilizers indicates "not recommended for offshore". You had any problems with it? Why would that be an issue?

I have had no issues and I do most all my boating offshore. I think the more accurate warning should read....."Not recommended for offshore racing in high seas." ( I will reluctantly admit though, I have had the ole girl airborne in some pretty rough seas with no ill effects.)

I have now tested the Trim Tabs, I notice a definite improvement on the hole shot ( on plain much faster), steering is mush better at lowers speeds and in 1 to 2 and even 3 foot sea the bow stays down better and I am able to glide through waves instead of bouncing or going airborne at 25 30 mph. Even the previous owner concurred it was a good investment.
James

Back