Trim Tabs

F

feejer

Just wondering if any of you 17CC owners have put trim tabs on your boat. If you did what kind, lenco or bennett

I've debated this issue for four years. Only benefit I can see on a boat this small is lower planing speeds. By the design of the seating on the 170 overloading to one side or the other is minimal. My thoughts are that if lower planning speeds are the goal then why not go with one of the cavitition plate fins. Cost is significantly less and operational issues are non-existant. Keep in mind that even after four years, I'm still debating the issue. Let me know what you decide...... and of course your performance progress.

feejer:

Extensive posting in the general archives and specifically 170 CC. I have both Doel Fin and Bennett Sport tabs on 2002 170 CC w/ 80 hp. Yam 4 stroke since new. 90 hp. was max power on that year. Actually used a 90 hp. 2 stroke for 15 hours until my 80 was available.

Had both on a 24 ft. stern drive cabin boat which was helped a great deal as in the advertizing/ marketing pitch for both products. On the 170 I can run on top at planning speed in very shallow water and carve turns with less skidding. Tweaking the engine trim and tabs gives better/drier ride up to a point... This boat ain't dry in a quartering wind/sea. Not many of this size are.

Check the archives...

Had 170 cc Logic with 90 Merc 2s Used SMart Tabs and loved them, instant hole shot and improved fuel consuption ant cruse. The (0 Merc caused a lot of torque list befor the tabs. That totally disapeared. Follow the install instructions carfully and they make a big improvement in handling. Loss at top end was about 3mph (50mph down to 47mph) Turned my Hot Rod into a sporst car

Back