900lb Bluefin

We actually get sightings of Bluefin way down here in our Bay right off Miami's shoreline in no more than 15 feet of water.......who'd uh thought???? My boat has no gear that could handle a 900lb Bluefin, but if I ever hooked one and actually got it to the boat...........I guarantee I'd figure a way to get it into the boat. (with all the plastic & foam, at least if it swamped me I wouldn't sink ;))

http://www.sportfishingmag.com/blogs/top-shots/incredible-giant-bluefin-invade-biscayne-bay-shallows

Last edited:
I did pull a 200lb bluefin into the BeeReel, took 2 people. Trouble is weigh of fish + people is a LOT and not much to spare of the gunnel above the water. People have sunk boats up here trying to stupidly bring big fish into their little boat!

The fish was rated very highly A, B, B for quality and did go to Japan for sale. Fish of this size rarely get shipped to Japan, over 700lbs selling weight. We got top dollar but the markey is currently flooded with fish and prices $1-2/lb (not $15-26) are common. We did significantly better than $2 going through private sale vs open auction.

Back