A case study of survival

PileDriver

Participating Member
City
Galveston
Ok my fellow offshore boaters, I am submitting this story as case study of want we could do different. This is a current story as they just found the men this morning. I have changed their names as it is not important, but I think we can learn a lot from the situation.
After reading the story ask yourself what you would do and are you really prepared for such an event?
Two fishermen missing since Wednesday are alive and back ashore after their 23-foot boat capsized too quickly for them to send a May-Day message, they said.
Bob, 29, climbed aboard a manned oil platform in the Gulf of Mexico around 3:30 a.m. today and walked into the galley where oil workers were sitting around.
"Who are you?,'' Bob quoted the surprised platform crew as saying.
Bob said he and his friend, Stan, stayed with their overturned boat from noon Wednesday until about 9 p.m. Thursday, when Bob decided to try to swim to an oil platform in the area.
Both had grabbed life vests as their boat overturned and the Coast Guard cutter Amberjack found Stan in the water around 6 a.m. today. He was about 2 1/2 miles from the rig when picked up.
After he and Stan arrived at a County airport on a helicopter this morning, Bob said something broke on the pair's boat and the vessel flooded before they could react.
Both men appeared badly sunburned but they had told family members awaiting them on shore that they would not go to a nearby hospital for a checkup. Family members insisted, however, and the two were on their way to the hospital by 8 a.m. today.
Bob and Stan departed the a Bait and Tackle Slip Wednesday at 8:30 a.m. in a 23-foot Mako boat. Their plan was to go fishing in the Gulf of Mexico near a popular fishing spot, locally known as the 22 1/2 Fathom Lump (about 40nm offshore).
Prior to departing Bob called his wife and told her that they had experienced engine trouble but were able to make repairs. He then told her that they were continuing with the fishing trip and expected to return between 5 and 8 p.m. Wednesday evening.
As they clung to the boat during daylight hours Wednesday and Thursday, a Coast Guard helicopter and Guard Falcon jet airplane aircraft flew near but did not spot them, Bob said.
"But we knew they were looking for us," Bob said.
Late Thursday, he said. the pair estimated they were within a half mile of some oil platforms and they decided to swim for one.
They hit a strong current that threatened to carry them away, Bob said.
Bob managed to get to a platform as Stan waited behind in the water.
The pair said they were 36 miles offshore when their boat capsized.
"It just flipped over," Stan said.
The boat remains missing.

Thanks for the reprint, Piledriver. I guess I'm not the only one who always reads the Coast Guard reports in Soundings to see how boats get capsized or disabled and what the crews could have done differently both before and after.

Kudos for them having life preservers at hand. I guess an easily accessable ditch kit would have made the biggest difference, as it would have had signaling devices at the very least. Makes me think twice about keeping my emergency kit inside the folding console...

There has been a bit more posted about their ordeal in the papper this morning. They had actually been in their fishing area and catching fish all day. But about noon they noticed the boat was taking on water so they put the lifejackets on and had just decided to call in a MAYDAY when the boat suddenly capsized. Note the seas were a little nasty as they were running 3 to 4's on 5 to seconds. The Coast Guard stated that if they had not had the offshore type I, life jackets their story would have been different as with the seas the way they were, the type III's that most of us have woulldnt have cut it, nor would have the cheap little type 1's we all throw onboard to met our requirements.

The firshermen also said they had a flare and popped it off when the could hear the plane and chopper looking for them but it wasnt seen. The type they had was unclear.

Today I will be upgrading my Lifejackets! Also I already had attached to my jackets, strobe lights and whisles. I am also seriously looking for a Epirb. Looks like you can get a decent one for about 650 with internal GPS. Just a thought but if several of us wanted to buy one maybe the online store here could get us a discount if we bought in bulk? I know it is a bit pricey but **** it is less then most of us paid for our GPS.

I also have gone through my previsions on board should the boat become disabled. I have a 2 gallon water storage container full and never used, just change the water out once in a while. Of course the USCG distress can with the flares etc. I keep a bag of jerky with my gear that I take on and off board as it is a good engery source. I also have a blue tarp to make more shade should I need it and to catch rain water. However, I just ordered two new tarps that are bright orange (10 bucks online) so they will make it easier for the USCG to spot me. I have a couple of cheap rain jackets in their original packages so they dont take up too much room and just added some cheap pool floats again in their packages to use for some padding/bedding should it become an over nighter! Alot of these little things do not take up much room and are cheap but sure will come in handy should the need arise. I almost forgot the most important thing,,,,,,DUCT TAPE

Something else I need to add it a drift anchor, as it will keep the bow pointed into the waves and reduce the chance and capsizing.

Well here is to a safe boating season for all!
Piledriver

Be prepared

Most of what I have learned about boating is a result of learning from my mistakes. I have witnessed things and heard stories. I have chatted with fishing guides about their experiences. Learning from these experiences can make the difference between life and death. Here are a couple of stories off of the top of my head:
---------------
I was in an open transom boat - drifting thru a rip. The lower unit of the outboard caught a lobster pot. This caused the transom to drop and all of the current/water filled the boat instantly. The entire boat was under water and all of the gear was floating around. The guide had a knife at the ready - grabbed it - jumped over to the lower unit of the outboard - cut the rope from the lobster pot off of the prop - the transom came right back up- all the water flowed out, and all was well.
Lesson learned: have a knife accessable at all times.
------------------
I was in a boat that ran onto a mud flat and got stuck. We had to wait for the next tide.
Lesson learned: always have food,water, sunscreen, and raingear - in case you are stuck on a mud flat for 8 hours.
---------------
I ran aground on a rocky shoal with several people in my boat. When the boat came to a rapid hault - everyone was in a pile in the front of the boat.
Lesson learned: always have polarized glasses to see thru the glare and see the bottom more clearly, carry an extra prop and the means to change it, have passengers seated or holding onto something when under way.
---------------
A friend got a treble hook stuck in his hand on my boat.
Lesson learned: have a first aid kit onboard and wire cutters.
--------------
Other lessons leared:
carry a cell phone, tell people when and where you will be boating, know where the nearest hospital is, make sure others know how to operate your boat - in case something happens to you, if you have a padlock on your spare tire - make sure you have the key for it, carry a jack and the means to change a tire, have WD-40 around, have a flashlight, listen to the weather report, periodically check your winch strap to make sure it's not frayed, always be careful casting a lure around others, have toilet paper onboard ( protected from the elements - in a sealed freezer bag), make sure your fire extinguisher is working, be careful with a freon air horn ( mine exploded in the glove box in high heat conditions and blew a large hole in it), and be careful when boating close to hydro-electric dams - they can suddenly discharge water while you are anchored, monitor your tire inflation and condition, sealed batteries are better than batteries that have caps to add water( I had one tip over and leak acid all over the underside of the boat and caused major damage), always make sure winch is secure ( I saw guy with a brand new boat - still in shrink wrap - whose boat rolled off of the trailer onto the street), use a checklist - on that list - write down, "remember to put plug in transom before launching", if you fall out of a boat and become disoriented as to which way is up - just stop moving for a second- and you'll float toward the surface ( my sister was in a cigarette boat that hit a jetty, and this situation arose), make sure your anchor is secure before falling asleep in your boat for the night, and if you see another boater that could use assistance - help them out - it helps to create good Karma.
--------
I like Gorilla tape better than duct tape. It's made by the makers of Gorilla Glue - you can get it at Home Depot. It appears to be stronger and stickier.

Cool on the waterproof phone, too bad they do not work offshore :( Actually thinking about a sat phone.

Back