ESorel7370

Registered Member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
My boat is at the repair shop for the 4th or 5th time. Lost count. The boat is a 190 Bay with a 90hp 2cycle yamaha on it. It first went in for tune up and getting old gas out. That was successful. The boat however, began hesitating and you would have to back and pump the ball. Then it stalled and wouldn't start. Pumped the ball again and it started. Took it in again and this time the boat was only running at 2700 rpm. They then replaced the brain. I took it out for a test drive and it did not run well so they said my stainless steel prop was not the right pitch. They put a new prop on and it did run ok. The prop was tested and they said it was fine. Now they don't want to fix my speedometer because they feel like they tried everything and the tubing is very brittle and to do it right they would have to drop the lower unit. Also I noted the shift mechanism was very stiff and asked about that. The end result is they don't want to drop the lower unit and I am wondering from reading different articles if they suspect the problem is in the lower unit. My bill is at $1300.00 plus the new propeller. I don't understand that the prop that been on there for many years and been tested by a machine shop comes back fine. And I want an opinion if the possible reason for not wanting to drop the lower unit to fix the speedometer is because they suspect lower unit problems. What are your thoughts? Thank you I have spend on trailer rebuild and my boat to date approximately $5,000.00 to date and need some help.

They don't know what they are doing. Take it somewhere else. Prop has nothing to do with it. And forget the tubing fed speedometer, they are inaccurate anyway. Go by GPS speed.

Also, and failed for me was the fuel tank anti-siphon valve. It was some low budget OEM plastic one, and I had it replaced if I am not mistaken with a brass / bronze unit.

And I agree with Bill, does not sound as if they can logically find the root cause / causes for this condition.

Please feel free to shoot me a phone number via PM and will be happy to call and chat with you about it. Those engine’s are about bulletproof, and many simple things you can check,clean, tighten to correct many poor performance issues.

Best,
Dave

Want to add that due the storm the Marina called and said the boat was working fine. Boy have I heard that before. When I test drove the boat the day before picking it up I noticed the shift mechanism was now sticking. I asked about it and was told that it can't be greased. This was not a problem until now. When they messed with my CDI box replacement, motor, prop and tubing for the speedo could they have done something to the cables. If so is there a way I can check the cables to see if the shift mechanism works better. Thanks again for everyone's help. I certainly need it. By the way the final bill today was $1582.92 dollars.

Here is the Speed fix and even have a built in compass ;)

The shift position "holding" adjustment can be adjusted at the binnacle and here is some info on that process.

Hope this helps?

Dave

Back