AstroDiver

Contributing Member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Menlo
State
GA
Well, yesterday I wanted to straighten out my tangled mess of anchor line on my boat. I also wanted to wash off the salt residue. So, I paid out the anchor and some line and tied it off. I got the rest of line untangled. When I tried to get the anchor back in, it had gotten hung up on something on the bottom of the lake. Something mean! :eek:
This is where I tried to use the anchor ball thing I bought before the MackFest trip. Well, I guess it only works in the ocean and not in lakes. I went in several directions to no avail.
This was the first time I've had to cut an anchor line. I've got a fender tied to the line as a marker bouy. I wrote on the fender that it was marking a hung anchor and do not take. It's in 70-80 feet of water. I pulled up right next to the bouy and pushed the MOB button to mark the location. I'm thinking of diving down for the anchor if I can find the nerve to do so. It's dark, cold and spooky down there. This would be a good testing ground for my 50 watt underwater light I just constructed from my video light.

The anchor was FREE but the 15 foot chain was not. It's some of the good stuff from West Marine that I had just replaced from the Home Depot chain that was a rusted mess.
West Marine is having a sale. Guess I'll get some more chain for when I 'find' another abandoned anchor.

We use to do a lake clean up with scuba divers and that's where we find the FREE anchors.
Seems that a lot of boaters don't know that there needs to be chain between the anchor and the line. DUH! :confused: Chain doesn't come in the "package" with the boat from the dealers.

thats a bummer, but it should be a breese for you to retrieve, being a diver and all. But only a 50 watt light...I take it you do not dive much at night, want to borrow my dive light?? OOPs, you do not live near me, my bad.

Thanks Puter for the correct wording of the 'anchor ball'. I couldn't remember what it's called. But if you put that as a search at West Marine, you get this thing that is hoisted above a boat to indicate that it is anchored. They have it listed as an "Anchor Retrieval System". See link below.

WoodNfish, check out this link: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...retrieval ball/All_2/mode+matchallpartial/0/0

Thanks guys. I rarely use my anchor, but I can see where a retrieval ball would come in handy.

woodNfish

Astro,

That anchor must be stuck real bad. I have used my anchor ball many times in the Columbia River, works just fine. I have also been on a charter boat in Alaska when they used one on a stuck anchor and never got it up.

Seventy feet, murky water, sounds like fun.

Codfish

Back