Here's how things can go wrong. Or "HOW NOT TO FOLLOW A DIVE PLAN"

ReelDive

Participating Member
City
Chipley
My dive partner and I dove the "Black Bart" off Panama City yesterday.(a very familar site to both of us) My dive partner was trying out his new Video set up, and of coarse, egar. He went down the anchor line first. I followed with my new pony rig (tested in sallow water twice) I,m usually the one to check the anchor and make sure it will be easy to clear from the wreck. ( I like to do this at the start of the dive whene I have a full tank of air to work with.) As I did so, my pony 2nd stage reg hung on the anchor chain and I was instantly aware that something was wrong as I wasn't going anywhere . almost at the same instant I noticed that my pony reg wasn't cliped to my chest where I'd put it. I did a quick spin hopeing to put it in front of me and ripped my mask off and tore my primary out of my mouth on the anchor chain. OK now I'm down 70' -- no mask- - no reg in mouth-- grabed the anchor chain for reference -- made a sweep to find a reg -- got air -- OK now where is my mask-- I saw a blob floating in front of me and thakfully it was my mask, and not a jellyfish -- got it on and cleared and continued the dive ( with a couple of great pics by the way). Back on the boat -- dive partner ask's " What were you doing back there? Thought you'd never catch up!" Ok, dive partner, not dive buddy.

I'm not a diver but I know that could have turned into a tragedy quickly. I sure am glad things worked out okay.

What kind of rig are you using on your pony? I have a 30cuft pony bottle and I haven't used yet. I'm still trying to figure out how to carry it with out attaching it to my main tank.I'd like to sling it.
I was thinking it would be nice to have the pony on board ju8st in case I need to check something when I needed to stay under water longer than using snorkel gear.

Back