Need help: How to change or repair a prop yourself?

PAX

Participating Member
City
Bedford
I need some help with my prop. Saturday I was going across Cape Cod bay in choppy water. I was looking at a landmark on the shore to guide me and did not see a lobster bouy. There are so many of them that boating in CC bay is sometimes like slaloming. Anyway, my prop hit the bouy and cut it in half. It slowed me down a bit a first but I got back to the ramp OK. Once the boat was out of the water I noticed that all three blades on my Suzuki 140HP were bent. Two slightly and one has more damaged. I have two options: replace the prop, repair that one and keep it as a backup or just repair that one. I have never changed a prop but would like to do it myself. How easy is it? Would you do it yourself or have it done by a shop? Is it just a matter or unscrewing the nut or is there more to it? How long does it take to do the job yourself?

In my quest for information I found this interesting link:

Guide to prop repair

Thanks in advance for your help.

It is real simple, first go to any marine store, get a prop wrench. Next you will need a block of wood to wedge the prop from moveing. Remove the cotter pin, then attach the prop wrench, remove the nut. Then simply pull off the prop. It may be a bit snug, but it will come off. Now there also could be a cone and a brass washer in that order tha will need to come off,>>>>ONLY for cleaning. Then simply put back on in that order.Add Marine grease to shaft and cone.

I've even used an adjustable wrench in a pinch, just like Genelie said other than that. As far as repair or new one, it all depends. what type etc..., I found some props on ebay in the past, its worth taking a peek. Saved quite a bit of $$ last year. If its aluminum the repair almost costs what a new one does usually, but not quite so it may be an option.

Around here the repair is much cheaper than a new prop. ($60-65).

I am wondering what pitch prop you use and how satisfied you are with its performance? Also, if you purchase a new prop, what do you buy and where? I have been toying with a new SS prop but can't find a four blade for the Suzuki 140 4S.

I had a 19P aluminum three blade new from the dealer. Couldn't reach top rpm at WOT. Had it repitched for $60 to a 17P and it works well for my type of water and I can hit 6200 at WOT now.

You will find it handy to know how to change props also. Your yearly maintenance should include a removal and lube of the shaft.

codfish

Repaired the prop and landed a Bonito

You guys were right, changing the prop is very easy. One cotter pin, one nut, two washers and you are done. The tought part for me was to find the same prop 3*14*17. West Marine had the 3*13 1/4*17. Just could not find the prop close to home so I decided to go with the repair. The prop was slightly damaged and it came out pretty nice. Fished Vineyard sound the next day the boat did great and we even managed the first Bonito of the year. I will get a new prop and keep the current one on the boat with a prop wrench just in case.

Now a couple of things surprised me:

1) The nut was not tighten. I was able to unscrew the nut by hand (?????)
2) There was close to no grease on the shaft (????????)

Weird knowing that the engine has less than 40 hours and just came back from maintenance.

Anyway thanks for all your help.

Attachments

• bonito.jpg
    bonito.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 18
I pull my prop every year look for fishing line and regrease.

sweet Bonito Pax! did you get it on the fly or spin? those things are made for fly fishing! I was down at Chatham over the weekend, tons of bait and stripers and blues all under it coming up to surface, however the stripers were really fussy, managed 5 keepers, but had many, many follows without takes. Wanted to go out and look for some bluefin, but the seas turned rough Saturday and Sunday morning, so we stayed and played with the Blues and Stripers both days. Friday was FAC, this was the day we should have gone out in search of SBFT but saw so many fish(stirpers and blues) we couldn't leave, plus we didn't start fishing til about 1330 hours.

Fishahn said:
sweet Bonito Pax! did you get it on the fly or spin? those things are made for fly fishing!

I agree with you but we were not successfull on the fly. This one was caught on a crippled herring. Went for SBFT this Sunday (7/31) of Gloucester. Saw several pods but they never stayed up long enought for a good shot. Wednesday of last week is when people hooked up a lot and landed a few in the same area. I tied a bunch a surf candy and I am planning to go back for Bonito on 8/13 in Vineyard sound.
I have fished the Monomoy flats several time on foot but never launched the boat around Chatham. Where can I find a good ramp there?

Back