Recognized Leader and Retriver Guru
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Lakeside
State
Ca
Hi all,
I do not know where to go for advise, so perhaps one of you can help. I am looking for a elec troll motor for my alum duck boat. I do not know how to figure what size I need.

My rule of thumb for trolling motors is the same as for outboards. Buy as big a motor as you can afford, that way if its not strong enough you will know you got the best you could afford. Besides have you ever heard anyone say "I have too much horsepower".
Seriously though I don't think you could go wrong with a 65 pound thrust motor on an 18 foot aluminum boat.

Hi all,
I do not know where to go for advise, so perhaps one of you can help. I am looking for a elec troll motor for my alum duck boat. I do not know how to figure what size I need.

It's really all about weight, current and wind. The more of any one of these, the more thrust you will need. Years ago, the rule of thumb was 1 lb thrust for every 100 lbs of boat + gear... now it's 5 lbs of thrust for every 200lbs of weight.

I use to have a 14 ft Jon boat with a 25hp motor plus lots of gear and I used a 14 lb thrust trolling motor...it worked just fine. It didn't go fast, but it worked.

If you're wanting to just move into shallow water and don't care about how fast you do it, just about any motor will work. If you're looking to get there sooner and with lot's of gear, you'll need a little more thrust.

Here's what Cabelas buyer's guides say:

Cabela's -- Guidebook Story

Good luck with your search.

Thanks all,
looks like I will be needing about 20 pounds of thrust based on the 200 fomular...no speed needed, just steath....hee hee heee:D

I used 36lb thrust minnkota on a 14 foot row boat for years and was very happy with the speed and battery life. I would say you would have a lot of trouble with a 20lb thrust motor if it was windy. on windy days it took all the power the 36 had to get me back to the dock on a fairly small lake.

just my $0.02
HTR

Trolling Motors

When I looked at a trolling motor for my 170 CC, anything above 55 lbs. of thrust required 24 volts or more.

I ended up with a Minkota Riptide bow mount 55 lb. thrust using a 12 v. This set up would pull the 170 quite well. and would last a full day of working the banks in the Everglade mangroves.

Good luck.

Back