Basic setup: what to buy?

ulcerdoc

Registered Member
City
New Hope
I would like some advice on a basic functional electronics set up for a 215 or 195. I plan to do mostly back bay and some close in offshore trips on weekends. Mostly fishing (for what I don't yet know). I am guessing that I migh want a combo gps/depth finder with a dual frequency and a transom mount. Something like a Garmin 188c. Anybody have any advice for me?

If you're going to be fishing deep water, invest in a good transducer. Otherwise, chart software is critical when fishing waters that are unfamiliar. There's nothing worse than trying to find bottom structure by looking at a manual chart and trying to find that with your depth finder and guessing that you're in the right spot on a GPS w/out chart plotting. The Garmin you mentioned has chart capability.

Thanks much

Cincinnati said:
If you're going to be fishing deep water, invest in a good transducer. Otherwise, chart software is critical when fishing waters that are unfamiliar. There's nothing worse than trying to find bottom structure by looking at a manual chart and trying to find that with your depth finder and guessing that you're in the right spot on a GPS w/out chart plotting. The Garmin you mentioned has chart capability.

Thanks. Would you then recommend the Garmin?

I wouldn't be the right person to suggest as I haven't been in the market for one in quite a while. I've read that the Garmin Sounder is not as good as the Lowrance but that the GPS on the Garmin can't be beat. For me, a fast responding GPS is critical in order to hit the waypoints exactly when trolling structure. I was on a boat a month ago with a Lowrance GPS and I thought it was terrible. There was a 5 second delay registering our position and trolling was a hassle.

I personally like the GPS/Sounder split/screen since my console is small and don't want two units. But if I had more room, I'd go for separate units so that you can get a full screen view on each. I would suggest surfing around on some of the many sites with message boards dedicated to marine electronics...

178 Sounder
http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap178s/

198 Sounder
http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap198c/

I have been using the Eagle FishElite (Eagle is the same as Lowrance) and have been quite happy with it as a GPS/FF/Chartplotter Combo unit. It easy to ready and navigate by. Lots of split screen options and data placement options and of course you have a selection of transducers available. Since I'm mostly inshore boating I can not comment on it'd performance in deep waters. The maps are also upgradable via a PC software option ($) and you can even customize the maps and details then download to a SD card and load into the unit. For reviewing your last boating event you can also download the data to the SD card and read it on your computer with the software. I've been researching the software and haven't used it yet, but hope to aquire it for next spring. BTW, there is a downloaded emulator available so you can play around with the feature on your PC before purchasing (very cool). If you can't find it - I probably have an older version around someplace.

-Kevin

Thank You

KevinC said:
I have been using the Eagle FishElite (Eagle is the same as Lowrance) and have been quite happy with it as a GPS/FF/Chartplotter Combo unit. It easy to ready and navigate by. Lots of split screen options and data placement options and of course you have a selection of transducers available. Since I'm mostly inshore boating I can not comment on it'd performance in deep waters. The maps are also upgradable via a PC software option ($) and you can even customize the maps and details then download to a SD card and load into the unit. For reviewing your last boating event you can also download the data to the SD card and read it on your computer with the software. I've been researching the software and haven't used it yet, but hope to aquire it for next spring. BTW, there is a downloaded emulator available so you can play around with the feature on your PC before purchasing (very cool). If you can't find it - I probably have an older version around someplace.

-Kevin

Thank you - that's very helpful!

KevinC said:

-Kevin

One more question. Will I need a VHF radio? If so should I get a mounted unit or is a handheld adequate? Any recommendations?

That depends upon how far Offshore you plan on going? I have a hand held that fits into quick release mount (pictures in the gallery) on the console. This way if I have to go over the side for some reason, I can grab it and go and still have a working radio. I though don't go much past 5 to 8 miles Offshore so a hand held is fine for my needs.

As far as my GPS goes (no fish finder works where I fish) I to have a Garmin 172C with the built in Antenna and it is also installed on a quick release mount. This way I can also use it in my Pathfinder setting on the forward console. Matter of fact, I more than likley use it more in the Truck than on my boat, but at least this way I get a lot more use out (bang for the buck) of it then just on my boat.

Dave

ulcerdoc said:
One more question. Will I need a VHF radio? If so should I get a mounted unit or is a handheld adequate? Any recommendations?

I started with a handheld and went to a fixed mount. The difference is huge in the range. Handheld is at 5 watts verses 25 watts on the fixed mount. The coast guard couldn't hear my handheld (station is 12 miles away). My fixed mount with 3' whip mounted on a 4' extension mast gets great range. Lastly, the fixed mount units are the same price or less of a good handheld. The 3' whip is extra.

I did the same thing, started with a handheld which couldn't reach the nearest coast guard station, then switched to a fixed mount. One thing I would recommend is the purchase of a quality antenna. I have a Shakespeare. I have heard good things about Digital Antenna, as well. I guess the point is that a radio, first and foremost, is a piece of safety equipment. VHF is line of sight, so if range is a major factor, the higher, the better. The cost difference beteen an 8ft and 4ft is little. The same goes for an economy model vs. a premium model. Don't cheap out on the antenna.

I still keep my handheld charged up and on board as a backup. Electronic failures are not unheard of and you are not always within range of a cellular tower. While they are fun to talk to your fishing buddies on, and to listen to all the chatter sometimes, they are first a piece of safety equipment.

I have a Furuno FCV600L that I'll be putting on eBay this weekend. I've only used it twice and it is in excellent condition. I sold my boat about three months ago and it was not a part of the package. I've got a new 215 on order and haven't decided on an electronics package yet. I'll put the Furuno in the Classifieds here this weekend too. :)

ulcerdoc, to be fully equipped, no matter how far out I go, I always carry a hand held VHF in a waterproof bag as a backup/spare communicator. I would say both the fixed mount and the handheld is the safest way to go. This may sound a little extravagant but you only have to have your radio go out one time and you realize how important it is to be able to communicate with USCG. codfish

Codfish, I could agree with you more.

Last week our ICOM M502a decided it wanted to receive but not transmit. When we arrived at the lowest bridge, an old swinging bridge at that, the radio was putting out a carrier, but no modulation. We had to lower the radar arch to go under the bridge.

Yesterday our new handheld arrived. Was out testing for over 2 hours today, and the ICOM never failed.

Now imagine that radio failing if I was out 30 miles fishing, not a pretty picture. Now I have my handheld and feel a lot better. The coast guard can probably hear my hand held, or better yet another boat in my area fishing.

That hand held goes out with us all the time from now on.

Back