bend in ezloader

elroy

Participating Member
City
Wiscasset
I just got back from a great fishing trip into the artic water shed in Ontario Canada. The trip was about 2700 miles return. I have a 170cc with a 75 hp etech. I pulled it with a 2500 Suburban and hardly knew it was there. While washing the boat yesterday I noticed the ezloader trailer was bent from just behind the wheels. I wish I could find the cord for my camera so I could post a picture. There is approx 2 inch drop from where the frame is straight in front of the wheeles to the end of the trailer. I am the only one that drives my truck with the boat on. I took it to the triumph dealer{ only a few miles away} and he said I must have backed into somthing. I didn't. We looked for any damage to the trailer but couldn't find any. I only loaded a few rubber tubs of clothes and a few other things in the boat. I only towed it with half a tank of fuel in the boat. I used a transom saver. The dealer said he would contact the local ezloader rep to see what he thinks. Has this happened to anyone else, or does anyone have any ideas on how this could happened. The bend is the same on both sides. I bought the boat and trailer new in Aug 2006. Also I was told by the dealer that the trailer is rated for 2000lbs.

Well that is weird. Assuming your trailer is bunked, the only things I can think is that over the long trip you transom straps might have come a little loose so every little bump worked like a jack hammer. In fact, even if the straps were not loose the weight of the boat and motor could have had this if the trailer was weak, which is most likely the case. Good luck with the EZ loader rep and let us know what you find out.

I do have a bunked trailer. At every fuel stop I checked the boat and trailer including the transom straps and they were always tight. I don't know what to think. I hope to hear somthing by the end of next week. I'll let you know what they say. I had another look at the trailer and can't find a mark on it.

one other possiblity...someone backed into your trailer while out playing with your boat. Mine has been hit in the fenders a couple of times...thank goodness for plastic.

I used a transom saver.

I'm just brainstorming here but: could it be the transom saver pushing down on the back of the trailer, kind of like PileDriver said, acting like a jackhammer the whole trip?

Wierd....let us know how you make out getting it fixed.

I guess it could be, but has anyone ever had this problem from using a transom saver. I was on all paved roads except for maybe 1/2 a mile to the launch ramp. As for someone hitting me my trailer it was backed in and unable to be hit. I just don't know what to think. The boat was tight on the trailer, Oh well maybe the ezloader rep will have some answers. Thanks for the answers and if anyone has a thought i would like to hear it.

Let me know what you hear elroy. I also noticed a droop in my trailer this past weekend. My wife was taking some pictures of her tow vehicle so I had stepped back and maybe got a good look at it for the first time. I haven't put a straight-edge on it yet to measure both sides. I use a shock-eze transom saver and changed the 13" rolling stock out to 14" for as cushy a ride as possible. The roads I go on are all paved state highways/interstate but not the smoothest in the world. I'll get more details on my sagging issue (trailer) and look forward to hearing what you find out.

Bob

I talked with my dealer today and he stated the rep wants pictures. Now I really gotta find the computer cord. My dealer says the problem is caused by the transom saver in combination with the placement of the axle. The dealer said he moves the axle foward to lighten the tounge weight and make the trailer tow better.The trailer dose tow great. He said that he will take care of the trailer problem and I should not use the transom saver as the mount on the etech will take the load with no problems. Hope this helps and thanks to a great dealer {Howie} at BFC Marine in Woolwich Maine

hmmm that concerns me a bit, a transom saver helps lift the load off of the transom and the components of the outboard( hydraulic tilt and brackets) .
The advice to transfer the weight off of the trailer back to these components would save the trailer but to what cost to the outboard and boat hull?
could there be a reinforcement fix for the trailer as an alternative, the reason I ask is that the 170 w/ easy loader is the combination that I am looking at buying, I have my own 75 merc that I want to hang on the back, I have seen a few boats that have been towed with out a save and seen the damages caused over time, and a few quick problems caused by potholes in the Hwy. I am a patrolman and we have several boat landings in the area. I saw a guy who hit an uneven spot on the Hwy trailer bounced and his transom saver was not bungied to his motor and fell away and blew out his transom( fiberglass) motor bounced on the Hwy and drug a few feet before he could stop several of us helped him pick up his motor and parts of motor and load into the back of his pickup truck....he was not happy.

I hope by sliding the axle back a bit it will help strenghten the trailer. I'm not worried about tounge weight as I have a 2500 Suburban. I still like the idea of a transome saver. 99.9% of the time I trailer less than a 1/2 mile to the ramp and don't use it, but on future long trips I will still use it. My dealer has always been great and has never steered me wrong. I belive him the the set up on the etech is strong enough but I also don't want to bet a new motor on it. so if he straightens the trailer and moves the axle behind the bend which is only 12 inches this should give me more strength. in theory anyway. I will let you know when it's done but that won't happen until after the 4th of july.

I checked my trailer from the axle back to the lights and there is 1/4" or less sag. I put the tongue jack on an old scale and it looks like the axle could be moved back. I'm going to do some closer calculating, but based on the weights of the boat, motor and gas, the axle could go back 6". I'm sure the guys with 75Hp motors probably could slide back even farther. I would think that without a transom saver, the leverage of the motor bouncing on a rough road would transfer more shock load to everything INCLUDING the trailer. That's why we strap the boat down; to prevent bouncing and shock loads on the equipment. The Yami manual says to trailer with the motor in the lowest position possible. The flip-down clips are for storage or servicing.

Good luck everyone!

On the topic of transom savers...I have a 170 Bass with a 70 Yammaha. When I Inquired at the dealer about a transom save he told me definitely not, that I don't need one. What's the scoop?
Dream Catcher

On the topic of transom savers...I have a 170 Bass with a 70 Yammaha. When I Inquired at the dealer about a transom save he told me definitely not, that I don't need one. What's the scoop?
Dream Catcher

same story I got when I went to my dealer over here.....and it kinda concerned me ...because it will be my motor getting repaired not theirs..

Bent Trailer

My trailer has the same problem and is so distorted I think it will have to have a new trailer. I took the boat to the truck scales and got the weight. The weight is 4200 # . The boat is a 06 191fs , 140 suz , 15 suz kicker , 3 batts for the elct trolling motor , TR 1 auto pilot , VHF , DS , GPS and the fuel tank was on half. The only thing that was in the boat that is'nt usually there was two 55" sturgeon . The trailer is over gross and the weight rating on each tire is 1870 # . So I have a big problem. The trailer has about 3000+ miles on it. The local dealer is working on it . If the trailer breaks in half going down the road who is on the hook for that bill. Hmmmmmm

I would say your insurance company (but I would read your coverage first) till they call the trailer OEM and the DOT on why this happened which it should not have...

Back