Replacing bunks

Electrical stuff finished. All lined up, strap attached to the bow eye, ready to be winched back under the boat
072.jpg

Last edited:
073.jpg
Hmmm.......not exactly panic time, but need to think this over a bit......

Well, I'll just sit on the tongue and continue to crank.....also can use a little lift at the bow with the floor jack. Piece o' cake!
074.jpg

Almost done. Just need to get the tractor again and lift the stern to remove the stand......075.jpg

Voila! Success! Used a can of that Mary Kate Liquid Rollers on the bunks to make the boat slide on easier. Not too difficult at all. Quite a bit of rainwater in the bilge that drained now that the bow is back up.
076.jpg

Almost done. Just need to get the tractor again and lift the stern to remove the stand......View attachment 18896

Mike, Mike, Mike........I can't believe I just read that....... How' bout.......lower the tongue jack.?!! :p:D

Haha..... didn't think of it......what can I say? Brain fart.

But that's what this thread is about...help the next guy do this when the need arises. And everybody's input helps accomplish that. Even if some of it is what NOT to do.:oops:

Last edited:
Hey Mike, quick tip...
Make sure you drop that engine straight down far enough to help take (lift and just a tad) some of the weight off the stern when parked. That Flats Jack (love those puppies) can put some extra pull / leverage on the transom ;)

Thanks Dave. I leave it down most of the way when parked, and all the way down when motoring down the highway.

With the engine straight, I would hit the down button on the jack and stop right when I felt it start to lift the stern of the boat. Never had any of the (so called) reported issues in the stern "some" would say I would get ;)

Traveling I agree Brother, I had the jack plate all the way down, but had the engine flipped over to one side to help keep it from wiggling around as much :)

With the engine straight, I would hit the down button on the jack and stop right when I felt it start to lift the stern of the boat. Never had any of the (so called) reported issues in the stern "some" would say I would get ;)

Traveling I agree Brother, I had the jack plate all the way down, but had the engine flipped over to one side to help keep it from wiggling around as much :)
I use a transom saver on the road, one that connects to the trailer.

Awesome work. When I rebuilt my bunks, I just rented a slip for a month, and timed if for the fall Striper run. However I have some bottom paint I would like to soda blast off and the slip is not answer...

Well, to tell the truth, I never saw the point in the MyWedge, if one is attempting to lessen the load on the transom. Yes, it cushions and supports the motor. But as far As I can tell, it does nothing to lessen the torsional effects of a bouncing motor on the transom itself. I know some people swear by the MyWedge, and I'm not trying to argue the point. I appreciate your suggestion, but think I'll stick with what I've got, even if it does get more and more difficult to get down and back up as I age. :(

Yes I must agree I am not completely sold. But I think mywedge distributes the stress on the transom better so some of the stress is lower on the transom and the rubber cushioning effect also results in less swaying higher up on the transom. The major moment of the motor is now against the mywedge and it is lower on the transom where there is less strain

I was wondering if it would be OK to replace my bunks with aluminum bunks with the rubber top liner. I work for a company that distributes them to trailer manufacturers and can get them for not much more $ than buying 2x6 and carpet.
Any thoughts??

Hmm....rubber, huh? Boy, I don't know. But it sounds a little risky to me. That doesn't come from any knowledge or experience, mind you. Just a gut (wrenching) feeling. Like what kind of damage could the aluminum do to your hull if the rubber tore somehow? Seems the rubber would have a grip that would hinder launch/retrieval. Actually, I can't imagine any kind of boat hull material that would work well with rubber bunks.

But, like I said, I could be all wet. :confused::D

Back