Big vs. Little Trim Tabs

jergofish

Participating Member
City
Lodi
When I bought my 215 I opted to install a set of 18x9 Bennett Trim Tabs instead of ordering the Lenco tabs that came as an option. Here's a recent set of experiences that demonstrate the difference in the two.

I'm currently in Mulege, Baja Sur. The waters here are known for extremely short and steep chop, hence the "Baja bows" you see on many of the west coast offshore boats.

A few days ago I went out on a Carolina Skiff, 2100 Offshore, a boat similar to a Triumph but 60 pounds heavier. That boat has the same Lenco sport tabs offered on 215's. We went out in seas with a three foot chop, six feet apart. The tabs were totally ineffective, I could not tell at all when I lowered or raised them.

The next day we took both boats out. It was not quite but almost as rough. I was able to run at 23mph, 4000 RPM, with a comfortable, dry, smooth ride with almost no loss of contact with the water with the tabs about 3/4 down and the engine tucked all the way in. The Carolina skiff was visibly pounding and slamming and had to slow, eventually, dropping back and riding in my wake. They looked very uncomfortable.

Yesterday we had a six mile run across three foot, short chop (6ft) seas with the wave pattern just abaft the beam. Again, the ride was so smooth that my wife was singing songs and having a great time, totally oblivious to the seas, the starboard tab was down a little farther than the port, raising the starboard side of the boat to prevent spray and the tabs were just below even, the engine trimmed to center. We were able to maintain about 18mph through the whole ride.

The Carolina Skiff was just leaving the dock going out as we tied up. They were back a half hour later, white faced, apparently having had quite a scary ride in trying to reach a calm bay six miles away. They had to turn back.

Having no experience with the smaller sport tabs, I don't know how much of the impressive handling of my Triumph 215 is due to the big Bennett tabs and how much is due to the hull itself. I do know that if I had not trimmed up, I would have had a wild and woolly ride on those occasions and would have been knocked about fairly well.

admin.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Back