Bobs Machine shop Stabilizer

peaceinthewood

Participating Member
City
Miami
Its been a while since I've been on here but back in love with my 215. My trailer axel left me at a very in opportune time (on my way to the ramp). did a total rebuild switched to torsion suspension , wow what a difference. back in business. one of the things that I absolutely hated about this boat is how hard it is to drive it at no wake speed. Well thanks
to this website I took the advice of the elder statesman and bought the Bobs Machine Stabilizer. Wow What a difference, I mean the boat still wanders a little but 70% better and really planes out at a lower speed and much quicker. I did loose 3-4 miles an hour on my top end but really a small price to pay for the benefits you get( not fighting with the wheel anymore). so take the Elder Statesman advice and get you one of these you will be Glad you did

Welcome back. And I second your opinion of the stabilizer. Really like mine on my Suzuki. Seems to me, however, that you might have the motor mounted a little too low if it cost you a drop in speed. The stabilizer (or the anti-ventilation plate if without the stabilizer) should be riding right on top of the water on plane, so shouldn't be adding much drag, if any..

As a long time owner (16 years) of a 210CC with Suzuki 140, Who installed a BMS stab plate, I would also question the loss of speed comment. I have also raised my OB with a BMS set back bracket and realized a dramatic increase in speed and what I call a lighter feel for the boat while on plane. You cannot imagine the difference made by getting your ACP on the surface rather than below it.

Give it some thought, you will never regret it. (See my posts on the subject.)

Codfish

Take your boat out on some smooth water, and get up on plane. Step back and look over the stern. Your stabilizer plate should be riding just on top of the water, being sprayed, but not submerged. You'll have to keep raising the motor until that happens to get it to the right height. Try and gauge how deep the plate is running now, so you don't have to go through the effort of moving the motor too many times. If by the "last hole" you mean the lowest position, then in my experience, it's likely you'll have to raise it at least 2-3 holes. Honestly, I could not get the Suzuki DF150 high enough on my 195CC without the hydraulic jackplate that I eventually installed. And that jackplate, with the ability to easily adjust the height, PLUS the 6" setback from the transom made a world of difference.

Link is to my experience in mounting height (a thread in which you also participated :)). https://www.performanceoutdoors.net/threads/outboard-mounting-height.8062/#post-47341

Back