Cobia skunk gone finally

Fishin' DC's

Participating Member
City
Gainesville
State
FL
...and it took my wife to do it. Saturday morning, my wife and I launched from Cedar Key to spend some fun time on the water. Not really looking to do much, just decompress after a hectic couple of weeks. I had gone to my local tackle shop earlier in the week and saw a display of Gulp! products and saw a 10" motor oil colored Gulp! eel. It was calling to me...buy me...buy me. I did ($12 for a 4 pack, ouch).

We launch the boat and begin heading out through the channel markers. We've attempted for the past two years to catch a cobia, but never come close. I eased the boat to a stop to drift back to one of the channel markers for my wife to throw the Gulp! eel on a 1 oz. red jig head. She throws it right at the base of the marker and slowly retrieves it when, BAM! Fish ON! It was not even 7am, still kind of twilight dawn and she thought she had a shark on. I told her I didn't think so. She got it to the boat and sure enough it was a 39", 26.5lb cobia. I made three attempts to net it, but it kept running and avoiding the net. I pulled the gaff out and hit him with a mid section shot and brought him into the boat.

I don't think I've ever seen my wife happier. The rest of the day had her catching two nice size speckled trout, but the cobia ruled the day. Today I cut him into some nice sized steaks and will be sitting down to a nice grilled cobia dinner tonight. Tight lines folks.

Attachments

• Captured 2008-7-5 00000.JPG
    Captured 2008-7-5 00000.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 39
That is some good eating there DC's. Congratulations! :)

Good going DC's wife. Now, if DC could do it...

yum !! chocolate piggies...and remember there is nothing more destructive in a boat than a green cobia---fight him down hard if you plan on keeping it!

Illogical,
She fought him pretty good, so he was worn down when he came in, but nonetheless, I applied the "pacifier" bat to him. He behaved thereafter. Grilled him up last night with a little salt, pepper, olive oil...YUMMMMM.

BarryB,
Mine will come one day. Our local fishing club has a year long tournament where points are accumulated based on the fish you catch from the eight primary species in our region (cobia, grouper, kingfish, spanish, redfish, trout, flounder, and sheepshead). She's now caught at least one of each of the eight so she's doing well for the tournament at this stage and this one should put her in first place for the women's division. She was pretty thrilled about it.

nice fish dc its all most as tall as she is, i bet she is proud of it.. to me cobia is one of the best eating fish out there.... got to put my wife on one like that she allways catches better fish than i do anyway, dont know what the deal is about that....

Back