Deep cycle or starting battery>>>????

I've had two Odyssey Extreme 24M AGMs on my boat for going on 10 years now. One house battery (really just lights and electronics) and the other start battery. No problems of any sort. My Suzuki has a dual charging circuit that charges them individually, and unless I ever need to throw the switch to combine them for starting (hasn't happened yet) they are completely isolated. I also have a dual onboard charger that keeps them at peak while parked.

SInce I purchased these, both Odyssey and Northstar batteries are now owned by Enersys, and I believe all the Northstar Pro series batteries have been replaced by Odyssey Extreme. I have a Northstar 27F AGM in my '13 Tundra Limited and have also been very happy with it.

Last edited:
They (Odyssey) are still great units and they make them for others like Interstate for some of their AGM units.

The newer style units Lithium units are great, and cut a lot of weight out as compared to AGM units. But... if you thought that quality AGM units are expensive (which in my eyes due to the much longer life span they are not) but grab your wallet and heart when looking at Lithium units :oops:

I will migrate over to Lithium units one day, if God will allow me to stay here that long for the cost of them to drop, and my present AGM's to wear out ;)

I couldn’t help myself; I broke down (my willpower) and bought an odyssey extreme 34M. It arrives tomorrow. I also have a NOCO dual charger that I will use on board. I I plan to get another and set up a dual battery system like Harper has. Very cool!
Excellent advice. Thanks

Last edited:
Heavy, but tough units (wear like iron) for sure! Will save money in the long run by not having to buy 4 of the others over the same period of time ;)

Heavy is right! That Northstar 27 in my truck weighs almost 70 pounds

This thing is a MONSTER! I got what I paid for.

I stuck my NOCO charger on it, and it was fully charged. FREEEEESH!

I've had a few battery scares this (new) season, and am very glad to have the peace of mind. Running out of 'lectricity in 2022 is out of fashion!!

Back