Doh! Anyone ever gas up their....Rod Holder?

nocturn

Contributing Member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Colonial Heights
State
Virginia
Haha. I did today. Bad part is it took me 4 tries to figure out what I was doing. I was like "Why does this d*** pump keep stopping???" then "Ohh! Thats why. Duh!" and I looked around to see if anyone saw me. LOL

Sorry but we all.... me included, have are better moments. Still better than the alternative of being planted six feet under.

There are just some posts you should keep to yourself.:D

Thanks for Shareing. I had to wipe the laughter tears off my eyes to see enough to respond to your post...:)

HTR

A friend of a friend pulled into the gas dock a couple years ago, told his buddy to gas up the boat while he went inside to get bait and ice. He came out and the guy pumped almost 50 gallons into a bottomless rod holder and into the bilge of his boat. The marina owner made him untie the boat and push it out into the river and called the Coast Guard.

Ditto, 6 gals into the wrong hole.

Well, I only put about a pint of gas in the bilge. The bottom of the rod holder kept kicking the nozzle's auto stop. It could have been worse...pretty funny.

Don't feel bad, no worse than me running around with all the hull drains open all day long and then wondering why the bilge pump light was staying on for a few seconds longer on each cycle? Then it hit me that I forgot to tighten them when launching the boat back a O-Dark Thirty :D

Hey that is why we created this one forum and titled it they way we did since "One can never live long enough to survive them all" ;)

Ok I got one.

I put brand new downriggers on my boat this year and on the first time out when I was pulling the boat back on to the trailer I forgot the fold the rigger in so it hit the pier broke it off:confused:.. There is a good side to this story. I called Cannon Downriggers and told them what I did and that I needed a replacement frame and they sent me one FREE of charge with NO shipping costs because like a craftman tool they are guaranteed for life. Even if it was done out of stupidity.

HTR

Gas in Rod Holder??

On our 195's the gas is the middle hole between two rod holders. Yes I pumped about a cup of gas in the holder which got into the bilge. The gas odor was bad. Put my stern plug in, poured a bucket of Dawn solution in the bilge and drove on to the coast. Dumped in a grassy area away from the water and rinsed with more water. Most of smell and fuel residue gone.

When I almost did it again, I made two PVC plugs to fit in those pesky rod holders so this dummy will not repeat this foolishness.

Ditto, 6 gals into the wrong hole.

Worse thing about the experience was that it was 4AM and I was trying to save money at an unfamiliar station, gas was $4.25/gal at the time, nothing like flushing $25 down the drain. BTW: the clicking off of the gas flow 3 or 4 times didn't register at first as an indication of the wrong hole since I have also experienced fussy nozzles shutting down even in the correct gas opening.

Sorry Mods. I thought it would have been model specific....215 has the rod holder real close to the fuel intake.

My son works at a gas station near a busy boat ramp and he says this happens about once a weekend during summer.

One day this guy worked out what he had done, pulled the drain plugs then drove away ... 10 gals on the driveway and down the road. ( should have lit that fuse! )

When I almost did it again said:
What nobody has said but seems obvious is that I have yet to see a rod holder with a screw on cap. And many a boat owner that should

What nobody has said but seems obvious is that I have yet to see a rod holder with a screw on cap. And many a boat owner that should

I've seen them at West Marine but expensive and may require replacing the stock rod holder. Improvising a cap would seem to be the way to go.

I poured a bottle of gas treatment in my rod holder when I had my 215 . It's right next to gas filler,

OH YA, I kept on squeezin the nozzle, gas kept spurtin out, I thought I was low on fuel, then I camly pulled the nozzle from THE ROD HOLDER and stuck it where it belonged. I'm so happy to share this unforgetable stunt.:D

D*** if I didnt just dump a whole bottle of Stabil into the rod holder. Sheesh! I went to Lowes and bought 4 PVC endcaps and put them in the holders. I'm a idiot for not remembering what I did last year. Getting old and forgetful stinks!

Well look at the bright side, at least the past fuel in the holder will not spoil now :D

And don't feel bad, over 47 and going downhill as fast as the rest of us :rolleyes:

Sorry Nocturn for laughing when I read that. I'm just glad to see I'm not the only "lets say less than perfect guy on here" that does these things.

Back