Survived the storm. "unsinkable?"

Manomet

Participating Member
City
Manomet
An observation about the durability of the 210CC and an interesting story. Hopefully I didn't jinx myself with the title...

I keep my 2002 210CC on a mooring in a not very sheltered bay on Cape Cod bay. When I got it last year, I worried about how it would hold up in the event of a severe storm. I got my answer in September when a 3 day Nor'easter type storm beat the crap out of it. I was just too late to get it off the mooring before the storm hit. I'll risk the boat, but I won't risk my life.. After three days of watching it and worrying, it pulled through. It didn't capsize, didn't sink, didn't break off the mooring, didn't drag the mooring (admittedly much bigger than needed-came from a guy with a 45' sailboat). When the weather finally calmed down, wife baby and I paddled out to check on it. As we approached, it looked fine except the swim platform was submerged when it normally sits a couple of inches above the water. Hmmmm...

Got in and found that the bilge pump had killed the #1 battery which allowed the boat to fill with water-Mega hatch, fish boxes, rear boxes, everything. Even the lower rear deck had about 2 inches of water in it. Gas tank was obviously completely submerged which, as you can imagine, worried me. In any case, primed the engine, turned the battery switch to battery #2 and she fired right up. Got her going at a slow plow with the bow way up and most of the water just rushed out the back over the transom. Then the bilge pump finished the job. I no longer worry about storms, they just clean the boat better than I do.

OK, flash forward to last week. On Thursday afternoon, the weather forecast suddenly turned from rain to a summer Nor'easter. Again, too late to get off the mooring but this storm was quick, mostly gone by morning. Same thing happened, battery died, boat filled with water. This time I took some pix. Unfortunately this is July and there are about 20 boats on moorings out there. Three of them capsized. Come Saturday morning, the Reel Time turned from rough and tumble fishing boat to recovery vessel. She (with the assistance of a few guys) got them uprighted and pulled them up and out enough to refloat and bail out. Then towed (2 of the 3) to a launch a couple miles away where they could be put on trailers. There was an element of risk in the operation, but we all accepted them and in the end all was well.

BTW, to raise a capsized boat, roll it over by pulling from the side. Then have someone sit in the boat and try to keep it balanced so it doesn't roll back over. Quickly hook a line to the bow and start pulling. One more tip for good measure. Don't have a little aluminum boat try to do the side pulling while you simultaneously do the bow pulling. You will swamp the the little boat. Ask me how I know. :D Boy I wish I got a picture of that part...

In any case, one of the morals of the story is "yes, the Triumphs do float".

In the pix you see some photos of the boat sitting low in the water and the recovery mission. (plus, for good measure, a photo of a 42" Striper caught from her deck a couple of weeks ago)

Attachments

• Refloated2.jpg
    Refloated2.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 97
  • drag to drain.jpg
    drag to drain.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 94
  • Half Recovered.jpg
    Half Recovered.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 105
  • Another Sunk.jpg
    Another Sunk.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 101
  • refloated.jpg
    refloated.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 98
  • Sunk.jpg
    Sunk.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 101
  • Water on deck.jpg
    Water on deck.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 109
  • Sitting Low.jpg
    Sitting Low.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 109
  • Striper.jpg
    Striper.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 102
Sure glad our boats float, you may want to switch to both batteries, perhaps next time it will be enough to keep the bilge working.:)

NICE.........Glad to see the plastic coming through for you and the gang....... Best Boats on EARTH!!!!

So they DO have full, level floatation! Triumph needs to start bragging about that in their brochures and on their website. That puts them into a very small minority of boat brands (one less now that McKee Craft may have closed for good). It's nice to know the 210/215 will keep the powerhead above water and operational if all else fails.

Most boats over 20' may claim to be "unsinkable" but that still means they can capsize with just the tip of the bow showing. That was one reason I was originally only considering buying a boat smaller than 20' - because they're required to have level floatation.

Back