Dave LeGear

Contributing Member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
What's left of Pine Island
State
Florida
Or maybe better stated "Another method to both clean your bilge and exercise the bilge pump" :pOK so I am on the water for like 5 hours today and then it finally dawns on me why the bilge pump light keeps cycling on and then staying on a just little longer than normal? This meat-head in his rush to get the boat ready for launch in the morning, forgot to close all 3 drain plugs last night :rolleyes:

So yes I can say with much confidence, that these hulls float very well :D tried and tested "again" by a Ex member of the USCG! Ha-Ha... Good thing it was not a heavy fiberglass hull and now I know why I was not getting any hits today no matter what I threw at them...

1. The bilge pump was running too often and flushing them out like Quail OR the one I like better...
  2. God was trying to tell me in a round about way "My son, I will hold the stern up long enough for you to (finally) connect the dots with that red light on the dash, that you left the drains open"
See what happens when you go for 2 months and not take the boat out... You get out of your normal routine of inspecting items. I guess I better dig out that preflight checklist again :cool:

Thats a great story. I have always wondered how one would perform with the plug out.

HTR

Thanks for sharing with the rest of us...I suspect all of us have either done something similar or will do it before we quit boating. I, like HTR, had often wondered what would happen...

Tony

Most Welcome guys!
And I still get a chuckle out of it from time to time. The saltwater did a fine job of thumping the mold in the bilge and the pressure washer follow up put on the finishing touches :D

I know what you mean when you say that you have gotten out of your regular routine. I double and triple checked everything on my boat on the way out yesterday and forgot my electronics bag in the back of my pick-up when I got home. :eek: My wife found it in the morning and luckily everything was still in it.

Yep almost did the same but just remembered as the boat was going backwards down the ramp. Once left a 1/2 pound of frozen Californian squid on the boat in a rush to get home...it wasn't frozen two weeks later! Haven't left the batteries on yet, but that was just a matter of time.

I now have my 3 Bs for boating at start & end of each trip:

1. Bait
2. Bungs
3. Batteries

:)

Your working too hard Dave

Today I filled up my rod holder next to the gas tank with STA-BIL. IT DOESN'T LEAK ! It does a nice job holding it til I could get it out with an old baster I had!
I guess next I'll try the drain plug thing.

Don't feel too bad, Dave, I was on the coast for four days last week, and on the 4th day, almost launched without the plug (never got it off the trailer). One discouraging word.... it doesn't get better with age :rolleyes:

Have any of you tossed your anchor out of your boat only to realize (as the end of the line passes by you and into the deep water) that you forgot to tie the line to the boat. I think of it as one of the things that qualifies you as an "experienced" boater.

And to think that they only ended up calling it the "bitter end". I would have had much more descriptive name to call it.......:rolleyes:

Have you ever tried to get the blood off your boat with a high-pressure washer while wearing flip-flops? Trust me, it just adds to the problem. Did this on Sunday...ouch.

Have any of you tossed your anchor out of your boat only to realize (as the end of the line passes by you and into the deep water) that you forgot to tie the line to the boat. I think of it as one of the things that qualifies you as an "experienced" boater.
Yep: My wife had yall build me a rivercraft bass boat in 1981. My brother came from Panama to where I lived in Wewahitchka at the time to go fishing. I'm sure you know where the Chipola runs into the big river, well thats where it happened. Never tied the rope on.

Back