Drilling for Transducers

L

L116474

I am very intersted in a new 195cc. Is there any special precautions for drilling in Roplene?

There is nothing special about Roplene...it's a type of plastic. When you mount a transducer, just use the screws that come with it and add some Rule (Sudbury) Elastomeric Sealant to each screw. It helps seal out any water and locks in the screws so there is less chance of them backing out. Other than that, nothing special. I hope this helps.

One thing I forgot to mention...when you install the screws just snug them up...do not overtighten or they will strip out. Get 'em snug and stop. Good to go.

should the drill bits be masonry bits like with fiberglass to avoid cracking

should the drill bits be masonry bits like with fiberglass to avoid cracking
Honestly...you don't need to drill at all. Just use the screws just as you would on a piece of wood. There is no cracking to worry about. Just use a cordless screwdriver and screw them right in...snug. That's it. No worries. BTW...congratulations, you just learned one of the many reasons to own a plastic boat. :D Ease of attaching items.

wow, thanks, I am trying to understand this technology to decide on the Triumph. I have done all of my own work in the past on alum. boats and glass boats. What about making through loes to run wires

When Triumph builds the boat they usually install conduit under the deck to help with the running of wires. Very few holes to drill to run the basics. If you want to install something out of the ordinary, Roplene is very easy to drill into. To get perspective, think plastic cutting board. It's way softer than you would think a boat should be but that's what gives a soft ride...the flex. One more reason to own a plastic boat...if you goof and drill a hole where you didn't want it, no worries, it can be fixed at home. Just melt some Roplene and fill the hole, and little sanding and a quick buff with the car buffer and presto, the hole is gone. Very simple. Try that with fiberglass. :eek:

You can't do a thru hull transducer or a shoot through hull, stick with a good transom mount.

I use a #8 drill to drill a piolet hole just to be safe.

The plastic drills very easily so I run my Makita at low speed and use very little pressure this avoids a lot of Oops! type things

Hello Triumph world! Are these boats great or what?? I am new to this and I want to install my own electronics. Garmin 440s with transom mount tranducer, any suggestions? It looks like the upper part of the transom is the best to drill through with a 3/4" cavity above and access through the transom hand hole, is this the best? Also, call me stupid, but I can't find the circuit breaker panel. I told you I was new to this. Any help??
Joe:eek:

on my 170cc I ran my tranducer wire through the rubber boot so I didn't have to drill a hole and it works fine. Just a thought. Also I installed a 4 circuit pannel for my electronics.

on my 170cc I ran my tranducer wire through the rubber boot so I didn't have to drill a hole and it works fine. Just a thought. Also I installed a 4 circuit pannel for my eletronics.

Same installation on my 170CC. Run the 'ducer wire from the CC, through the tubing provided and out the rubber boot at the rear and down the transom. No holes to drill. I also installed a fuzed circuit pannel for electronics under the CC. I wired it to the battery switch so when I cut the power, everything goes. No drain on the battery.

I hope this helps.

Thank you

Thank you for your reply, I will look into the fused circuit breaker as it will obviously open up to better future installations.
Joe

When attaching just about anything to your boat with screw you should use self-tapping screws and DO NOT DRILL a hole. If you need a starting hole to keep your screw from wandering, use an awl to make a hole for the screw point. The only time you should drill a hole for screws if if you are using an anchor for a heavier load.

A plastic welder makes for an easy fix to any mistakes.

Triumph has a maintenance page on their website and they have more information on this. www.triumphboats.com

woodNfish

Back