e-tec priming

retiredaag

Registered Member
City
Jacksonville
i have a 2008 190 bay with a 115 e-tec on it. i have about 30 hours on it and love the boat and motor. but to start this eng. cold you have to use the throttle or prime the bulb. if i stop and still fish for more than 2 hrs. i have to do the same. the eng. manual says you should never have to prime or choke this eng. it also says not to use the throttle as it overrides the comp. and will shut down the eng. the dealer dont seem too concerned about this problem. was wondering if any one else has had this problelm. thanks

I would not think that an engine with 30 hours should be that hard to start.You're going to wear out starter motors faster than normal in that condition. I don't know much about e-tec motors but I think they use more oil in the first few hours.If that is correct check your spark plugs for fouling. Maybe a new set would solve the problem. Take it to the dealer and be there when they try to start it without sqeezing the primer bulb. It may be in the way you are "holding your mouth" when you start it. Good luck.Keep us posted on the solution.
John D.

retire i have a 150 e-tec and when i first got my boat it was hard to start the dealer tolled me that when primeing the bulb there is a arrow on it that shows the flow direction this arrow must be faceing up when you are primeing the bullb or it will not take all the air out off the line. i did this and have not had any more trouble with starting.matter of fact i can not remember the last time i had to prime the bulb. try this and make sure the arrow is faceing up and the bulb is pumped up real hard .. if you are still haveing problems you might have a small leak some where in your gas line that is letting air in .one other thing are you putting gas treament in your gas to take out water and how old is the gas.... hope this helps let us kown what the out come is ..

I never have to prime the bulb

I have a 150 E-tec, and I never have to prime the bulb to start it. It always turns right over instantaneously without any hesitation. I did prime the bulb once at the beginning of the season, and it turned over instantly then, too. -Andrew

I have the same motor and was having the same probelm , dealer said to make sure arrow on bulb was pointing up. The last few times i took it out seem to work fine , fingers cross .

thanks for the information and hints on what might work, as soon as i get the seat mocification done i will try the arrow on the bulb thing. i will let you know if that works or not.

well i tried the bulb priming with the arrow in the up polition and it did not work, so dealer pulled it out of the water and put it on his computer and could not fing anything wrong. so he finally put in a call to evinrude and they asked what it was doing. so i guess somehow they used there computer along with his and they installed a new map or something like that and it now works like a new motor should. starts instantly and holds its lprime. thanks for the help.

Back