e-tec maintenance

glehav

Contributing Member
City
Elmore
pamarine you can give us a little better info on this subject than i can ...i am a e-tec 150 owner and there is no mainteance on this motor for 300hrs. but i am going to change my foot oil and gas filter at lease once year. dont you think that is a good idea. my motor has 90hrs. on it and is a 08. i changed my gas filter a few days ago and you just about could blow through the old filter the new fitler was ez to blow through. thats telling me that i am getting alot of trash and water from gas pumps. what other mainteance do you think needs to be done to just be on the safe side 300 hrs is a long time without any maintenace at all wouldnt you agree... thanks

I change my lower unit oil at least twice a year...but then I put a lot of hours on the boat. The 10 micron fuel filter is changed every year as well as the in-line filter on the engine. I also regap or replace my spark plugs at least once a year...sometimes twice if I think of it. Granted, I own a Mercury and not an ETEC but those things are what I consider the minumim of maintenance. I don't think Evinrude intended for no maintenace for 300 hours, more like no shop/dealer maintenance for 300 hours. Just my thoughts.

thanks chuck for the info i am planning on putting a water separator in, have not had the time. that will help a good bet... will take your advice about the spark plugs too....300 hrs is just to long for me not to do some kind of mainteance. thanks again

Glehav

While you are correct in stating that the E-Tec motors do not require any maintenance for 300 hours (including Oil changes, gear oil, and filters), I also agree that 300 hours seems like a long time to wait. And there is still the issue of calendar time. The average for recreational boaters is 20-50 hours a year. Assuming you are the 50, that would be 6 years! I will need to double check with my evinrude manuals, but I don't know of a lubricant (natural or synthetic) that lasts this long. All lubricants break down with age due to ambient temperature changes and exposure to the atmosphere. I would still change my gear oil at least once a year (prior to spring commissioning). I personally change my gear oil and fuel filter during winterization and again at commissioning (I reuse the winter filter ever winter for 3 years, unless there is a heavy buildup that appears during the commissioning process). Hope this Helps.

Back