150 E-tec

john f

Registered Member
City
Bolton
State
Ontario
I have just returned from my first fishing trip with my new 195CC equipped with a 150hp Evinrude E-Tec. Very impressed with both boat and motor. Are the results I got similar to other owners with the same set-up? The boat is equipped with a T-top. Top speed 42 +/- mph @ 5000rpm. 3 men in the boat, 1/2 tank fuel, very slight surface chop, less than 1 foot. This speed was achieved trimmed out to max - no trim tabs. I know someone will ask me what the prop pitch is - but I don't know off the top my of head - I will look next time at the boat. The hole shot seems real quick so perhaps I am getting that at the expense of a higher top end. I certainly am not unhappy or displeased with these results, just curious to compare. Thanks to all.

That RPM sounds too low for WOT running. Most engines (check your owners manual) like to run most engines in that 6k range. I would also like to know, how many blades and what kind of material the prop is made out of ;)

john thats about right i have a 215 with a 150 e-etc and i am getting 42mph at 5200 rpm 17" viper prop. so you are doing good. you need to find out what size prop you have. thats going to tell you a lot. you could go to a driffent porp and get more top end. but it will hurt the hole shot. it all depents on what you want. but thats not bad at all.remember a t-top will put a lot of drag on a boat when you are runing againest the wind and where are you going to use the boat if in salt water than 42mph is way fast enough. you could get 5850 rpm out of that motor top end with the right prop but you want have much of a hole shot. and think about this the dealer you got the boat from have set up 100ers of 195 cc with e-ects they know what set up will give you your best preformance out of the boat

The Evinrude manual says 5350 for WOT - depending on prop of course. I have a 3 blade aluminum - standard from Evinrude I assume. I will check the pitch next time I'm at the boat. If I have a choice, I will stay with the better hole shot - at todays prices, how often and for how long does anyone run at full throttle?

Last edited:
john you could go to a ss prop and it would do a little better if i was useing the boat in salt water i would go to a ss prop too. it would last longer.

The Evinrude manual says 5800 for WOT - depending on prop of course. I have a 3 blade aluminum - standard from Evinrude I assume. I will check the pitch next time I'm at the boat. If I have a choice, I will stay with the better hole shot - at todays prices, how often and for how long does anyone run at full throttle?

You will get better hole shot and burn less fuel by lowering the pitch one inch which usually equates to around 500 RPM in either direction for each inch you increase or decrease the prop pitch.

The reason I say this is engine load and how long does it stay at that point... You will burn less fuel if you punch it and get it on a plane quickly, and then throttle back to a cruse speed "while" reducing the engine load at the same time. The SS prop will also return better performance due to the less flex of the blades. The other thing many forget is going to a 4 or even 5 bladed prop will make one really pop up on a plane, but you may loose some top end.

Like you though, I look for a good cruise prop, but trust me the move to Stainless Steel will shock you when it comes to launch and have positive returns in lower fuel burn at the same time ;)

good advice

Yes Putershark I agree. I will look into a stainless prop in the very near future. Of all the things that impress me about this set-up, the hole shot is definitley something. I find that you have to throttle back almost immediately or I'm sure the boat would take to the air! For good weather/water conditions 4000rpm produces approx. 30+/- mph which suits me fine. Thanks to all for their comments and suggestions.

i got my 195cc a little while ago and im getting about the same results also with my 150 etec. does anyone else experience a little bit of lag in the throttle at certain RPMs? i notice at certain RPMs my throttle lags for a second. I called Evinrude and the guy said that the engine is double-oiling itself and the lagging is normal for the first 5 hours of use over 2000RPM.

Hi ROBO714,

I have 2 Etecs, a 2 year old 60hp and a new 175hp both have a slight lag at around 1500-1800rpm. This is where the lean burning injection gets taken over by the full use of the piston and cylinder.
It's an Etec specific thing and the lag in much less in the newer motors and older motors wich have the latest map update.

The Etec gets stronger and faster after the double oil period as the motor "loosens" up.

John,

Get a prop that gives you 5500-5800rpm @ WOT.

And once you get the right size stainless prop ... hang on!

E-tec

Great advice Whitto. Exactly how long does this double-oiling period last? The manual doesn't give a time frame - just that oil consumption will be somewhat higher during this period. The hourmeter on my boat is at 30hrs. All the suggestions regarding the stainless prop and the results of switching to one have got my interest up. I'm sure I can make it happen - just have to let my wife get over the initial shock of the boat purchase before I drop some more dough!
Thanks to all.:D

Here you go ...

The 2008 Etec Break In Period

Note that under 2000rpm does not get double oil.

Attachments

• Etec Break in detail.jpg
    Etec Break in detail.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 18
Back