k9reno

Recognized Leader and K9 Guru
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Punta Gorda
State
Florida
I any one familiar with what I may need to how to get my engine data from my Yamaha 150 hpdi to display on my HDS gen 2 touch display
I am trying to relearn the device as it has been a while since I have had a chance to get it on the water.

Good place to start (see the link below) and I believe I found this not long after we chatted about this not all the long ago :D

Hope this helps?
Dave

If nmea 2000 would work for my 03 Yamaha hpdi Z150trxb motor I there would be no problem. I can find no information about my motor on Yamaha's web site and the user manual that came with it is useless.

Do you have this connector in your engine?

Also see the attached PDF file for some more general information ;)

Attachments

• Yamaha_Engine_NMEA_2000_Connection.pdf
    612.9 KB · Views: 7
I will check when my boat thaws out. I have not been able to find any info on that on motor older than 2006

There may not be a dedicated NMEA2000 output on your Yamaha, but there will be a data port where, with nothing more than two wires, you can deliver engine data to a drop on your NMEA2000 backbone. Then, after identifying the physical connection points and routing it to your backbone, you configure your HDS to receive the data. Configuration will include which engine - port, starboard or center (your application will be center) and other configuration points, then you'll have data.

A fuel level sensor (also to your backbone) and a GPS antenna (again also to your backbone), you can have MPG and other fuel use data.

Now, which data you get from your engine depends on the engine. As an example, 2008 Suzuki does not show oil or water pressure data, but my Yamaha did. So, your Yamaha may not show certain data points.

My 215cc had a 2007 Yamaha, and I had two micro spade connectors on two of the output port connectors and those two wires went to the backbone (sorry, I can't remember which ones). I had more data than I could display on my Raymarine. So, it can be done. Start with the backbone. Check the service manual for your engine and identify which to points to connect to. Follow the advice of others about building a backbone.

I hope I gave you hope and not confusion.

No confusion. I understand abut nmea 2000 backbone and connections. I just can't find any info on my 03 engine. The Yamaha web site (at least the one I get to) seems to be only sales. I haven't been able to find even my engine model on it. I am sure it puts out data at least for digital gauges. maybe nmea 0183 but the manual that came with the motor is worthless. and I dont have a service manual. Oh well I will either figure it out or give up. I hate giving up.

Well I finally found an answer on my issue of how to connect to my HDS. This is the info I have been given.
This can't be done with pre-2006 150 HPDI models, unless you replace the engine wire harness and ECU with 2006 or later configuration parts.
It would then be plug and play, once you have upgraded the ECU and engine wiring harness - a very costly upgrade. Well the motor only has about 280 hours on it anyway, no sense in messing with it.

Some configurations I have seen (and this is being done off of my PC so I have limited access for power searches right now) was via a jumper cable from the Yamaha Digital Gauge over to a Lowrance.

Now that might all be via NEMA standards so you might still need the above mentioned ECU and harness....

280 hours on the engine is nothing and excellent trading material if you were looking to upgrade to a New Yamaha 4 stroke

And along those same lines, at 280 hours is still worth some consideration for upgrades. Possible to find a newer year model ECU and harness on a past blown engine. Would not be the easiest parts to find and my 1st recommendation would be to reach out to larger Yamaha Outboard dealers in Florida who are repower experts. They are the ones that would churn through such parts and may have of those types of parts in a “spare parts bin” for those looking for used components

Let me know if interested in looking for them and I can make some calls

Thanks, I will put that on my list of things to look into after I complete the build and move. Will be down this week to check on status. Flooring when in this week.

Back