ethanol

ReelDive

Participating Member
City
Chipley
Now that the ethanol mandate is law here in FL Is there any special concerns with the new 4 stroke power plants? I heard that Ymaha had issues wit it in CA.

reeldive

The major concern with E10 fuel is water. It is not avoidable, a good 10 micron filter will solve this problem (RACOR has a site glass on the bottom for ease in draining the collected water). Also additives are a must!!! always use ringfree and a good stablizer such as stabil for ethanol star tron or the yamaha brand. A new boat should not have the fuel tank problems such as build up of sludge, the ethanol dissolves it and it clogs the engine injectors, or fiberglass tanks the ethanol breaks down the bonding agents. I have a 2002 ox66 and have not had any problems even after 6 months of sitting with a tank that was only half full, not a good idea I should have been fishing.
Good Luck and happy boating:):)

Thanks for the input. I was also concerned about the effects of ethanol on seals and any rubber compounds used in the fuel system as I know that it deteriates rubber

E-10 and Rubber

Any rubber fuel system component manufacturered after 1993 is supposed to be alcohol resistant by law. Always make sure any replacement parts you buy meet or exceed the OEM spec's and if it's fuel hoes meet SAE J1527 and either USCG A1 or A2 depending on the intended use. Hope This Helps!

E10 is going to be the next batch of fuel bought by our marina at Tyndall AFB. Prior to that we've had achohol free mid-grade only. So this is just becoming a problem for us. Isn't it wonderful how those congress critters take care of us?

Florida requires 9-10 vol% ethanol in gasoline by 12/31/10

E-10 Why?

Subsidies to corn Farmers. Originally the EPA was mandating oxygenated fuels but has since repealed that mandate due to a lack of environmental contribution. (In fact, they figured out it was worse). So now the only reason I can see for states still pushing for ethanol-blended fuels is to offset the subsidies paid to corn farmers with excise tax revenue on gasoline.

Subsidies to corn Farmers. Originally the EPA was mandating oxygenated fuels but has since repealed that mandate due to a lack of environmental contribution. (In fact, they figured out it was worse). So now the only reason I can see for states still pushing for ethanol-blended fuels is to offset the subsidies paid to corn farmers with excise tax revenue on gasoline.

Thanks for the update and input. Your probably right on the mark.

Back