blakinsmith

Participating Member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Los Gatos
State
CA
Saturday I got the gumption to take my 03 210 thirty four nm out of Santa Cruz, CA Harbor to some GPS numbers with warm water and fish reports a few days earlier. It paid off with my first tuna ever - hooked before I even got the rod in the holder! We ended the day with five - the largest about 28 lbs and the rest 5-8 (peanuts as I understand they are called). Great eating nonetheless.

Photos uploaded with this email.

All caught on a 1.5 oz jet headed squid jig called Mexican Flag. Ran four rods - had fish in every position. I feel very fortunate - many veterans got skunked or picked one after some very hot reports earlier in the week. Conditions, particularly on the return were snotty - 15+ knot wind from the side (can you say SOAKED), maybe 2 ft wind waves mixed with 4-5 ft swell. But the 210 handled it pretty well. I trolled a third of the way back since I couldn' comfortably got more than about 14 kts.

A great fighting fish..........Barry "Bite Me"

Attachments

• B'sFirstAlbie.jpg
    B'sFirstAlbie.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 50
  • Kevin&28lbr.jpg
    Kevin&28lbr.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 55
  • BiteMeHaul.jpg
    BiteMeHaul.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 55
Well done, i have not had the pleasure this year to land a tuna.....I normally haul in 10 - 20 a year. but this year stinks.

Bitchen!

Outstanding I love it! Great report thanks. I was in Ontario today and checked out the 215. Needless to say I am still sporting wood! How many so cal owners do we have out there? I would be very interested in seeing some photos of your setup. I thought the albies were done for the year I guess not. Waiting for the yellowfin to show. Any feedback regarding your overall experience with the 210 to a perspective buyer? Thanks again great report.

Tunaboyyy---thanks for the feedback - you cracked me up with your description of Triumph desire! I know the feeling. I've been very happy with the 210. It is my first boat - used my bros 17 ft aluminum a bunch before that. You get a lot of boat for the dollar - I can handle the various minor probs - all well documented in this group. I'll PM a couple photos to you - have a kicker on stern, other than that quite standard.

Tuna are expected to stay around locally (SF bay area) 30-50 nm offshore for another month. Can't vouch for what to expect further south.

Back