First Time Owner - 191 FS

waterboy

Registered Member
City
St Augustine
This is my first post, but have been reading the posts for some time now. I have taken the plunge and will be taking delivery on a 2008 191 FS in the next few days. I decided on a 175 E-TEC as I really love the motor when compared with a Suzuki 4S that I previously owned. I didn't have any mechanical problems with it, but the torque with the E-TEC is incredible.

My reason for buying the Triumph is that I bought a vacation home on Lake Oconee just east of Atlanta. It was designed as a fishing lake and has close to 300 pounds of fish per acre on a 19,000 acre lake. The problem is that it has standing timber spread throughout the lake. Most areas are posted, but some are not. That is great for fishing, but can really mess up a fiberglass hull if running at WOT.

I live in Brunswick, GA, (about 200 miles from the lake) with my local marina just minutes from the ocean once launched. I have a 20' Key West powered with a 200 ETEC. (Yes, I'm a believer.) I'll keep the Key West here for saltwater, but keep the 191 on the lake for family fun and freshwater fishing.

Hope I've made the right decision, but was pleased with what I saw when shopping and during the sea trial.

Would welcome any insights from others.

Welcome aboard bvelie. Congratulations on the 191. Great point on fishing a lake with lots of debris or standing timber. You'll be glad you've got the Roplene hull. Of course that timber will still do a number on your 175 e-tec! :) Be sure not to use a stainless steel prop in those waters. We look forward to your posts and some pictures of your boat. I would especially enjoy seeing some pictures of those fish when you catch them. Sounds like that water is stocked pretty well!

NCangler, point well taken. The thought is that with an 8' wide hull, the exposure for the skeg and prop is less than 15 inches of that width. Still real, but 7 to 1 less likely to hit the motor or prop than the hull. And admittedly, I like the Triumph boat and the functionality it offers.

Finally took Delivery!!

Took delivery on the 191 FS last Friday. Took her out for a spin and she handles great. They sent the wrong fish seats and missed a few items, but the dealer is taking care of it all very quickly. Overall, I'm very pleased with the boat. Just love the convertible features of the casting deck and bow seating. Looking forward to many hours on this boat. :D

We look forward to some pictures. :)

NCAngler.

I was a bit surpised that you recommended a stainless steel prop for the these types of waters. I went out onto Grand Lake St. Mary's in Ohio a few weeks ago (average depth is about 6-7 feet) and hit a stump in the middle of the lake. I broke a blade completely off my alum prop, I replaced it with a 4 blade Solas prop and stayed with aluminum. I believe that if I had a stainless steel prop I would have been replacing my lower unit.

Actually, NCangler suggested an aluminum prop in post #2. I was the one that indicated the desire for a SS prop.

If you look at post #2 I used the word not in regard to a SS prop. I'd rather have something that will give before my lower unit does in water with lots of obstructions.

Got it, I was all mixed up, I totally missed the "not", thanks for the clarification - feel better now. :)

Back