general electronics questions

couture

Registered Member
City
Sebring
I use my 170cc/75 e-tec on inland lakes in Fla, SC, NC, and the ozarks as well as inshore gulf waters west coast of Fla never more than 3 miles out usually around Cayo Coata and places like that and also Crystal River area for scallop diving....what should I have for VHF and do i really need GPS? looking for all advice i can get as I am new at the salt water thing.. i do have a salt water trolling motor on the bow also..what is the shallowest you run in with your 170cc ? thanks for your opinions. :)

VHF (pending how close the nearest Coast Guard station is) I would say a hand held would be fine. I would also program the local Coast Guard station into your cell phone.

GPS (with a moving marine chart like my Garmin 172C) in Florida in my opinion is very important... For it will keep you from getting High and Dry real fast from hitting shallow water. Also allows one to run the ICW at night (kind of like IFR flying) if you get caught out late or a storm has you diverted from your normal run back to the ramp. If the Coast Guard (or anybody for that matter) needs to get to you fast (like a medical emergency) having a instant Lat and Long numbers is a real time and could be life saver ;)

VHF (pending how close the nearest Coast Guard station is) I would say a hand held would be fine. I would also program the local Coast Guard station into your cell phone.

GPS (with a moving marine chart like my Garmin 172C) in Florida in my opinion is very important... For it will keep you from getting High and Dry real fast from hitting shallow water. Also allows one to run the ICW at night (kind of like IFR flying) if you get caught out late or a storm has you diverted from your normal run back to the ramp. If the Coast Guard (or anybody for that matter) needs to get to you fast (like a medical emergency) having a instant Lat and Long numbers is a real time and could be life saver ;)

well said, more is better than less. safety wise. I am fornuate to be able to do this. Hope you are too.

Buy a waterproof vhf that links to your gps and has DSC. This will give you a DSC capabilities for emergency location in case of an accident or immediate health problem or injury.

Some handhelds now have all that too, expect max 5 miles.

I agree with Molar Boater, Saftey should always be first. Spend the money, if not for yourself do it for your family and friends. DSC is the way to go!

Back