Great Saturday on LI Sound. Met PAX

F

Fischer53

Absolutly tremendous Sat here in CT. Clear, warm, no wind and plenty of fish. Trolled up a couple of short strippers, jigged bluefish until we were tired of catching them, ran out to the east end of Plum Island and spent an hour or so tryin to get a false albacore to hit. They were everywhere and there was a pretty good fleet of boats in with them. Seems the fly roders were doing better than us guys throwing hardware. Watched one fly guy hit 4 fish in 45 minutes! I spotted a 210 CC and went over to chat. Turns out it was PAX, down from the Boston area on his way out to Montauck as part of a 4 day excursion.

Quit that, worked a couple of bluefish frenzies as they drive bait up on shore, played with porgies for a while, and then went and jigged some more bluefish. Biggest was a 32" blue from a 110 feet of water. Thats a 15 lber from the length weight charts and about as big as they get. It was a great 10 hours.

Montauk Point: Albie Land

What a 4 day weekend we had. Launched from Groton, CT and made our way to Montauk Point, NY. Made a few stops on the way: Plum Island and Eastern Point. This was a false albacore (albie) fishing trip. On Saturday we met with Fisher53, on Monday we met with Rich, owner of a 210cc. Anyway we had a perfect weekend and landed 2 dozen albies in four days. They were there in great numbers but were extremely finicky. Lures of choice were 1/2oz silver crippled herring, L-Jacks and Kastmaster. On the fly side to my disapointment the Rhody Chovy did not work. We had success using a trimmed version of a sand eel pattern. If you go there go small as the bait, bay anchovy, is 1-1/2 to 2 inches long. Blues were also in numbers. I had a slam, albie, bass and bluefish on day three. Sunday mid to late afternoon was like you read in the books when they talk about the point. Albie and blues were blitzing all over the place. We had greater success during that time as they appeared to be less finicky. I got the biggest at 9.7lb during these 3 hours. We lucked out weather wise even Monday was not so bad despite the North wind. First year I have the boat and I put three tunoid types in the boat: Bonito, Bluefin and albie. :) :) :)

Attachments

• albie3.jpg
    albie3.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 19
  • albie2.jpg
    albie2.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 21
Outstanding PAX. Hey, try putting up your fishing reports as new threads. I've been trying to get this section going for a couple of months now - as you can see when I post reports both when I catch big ones and little ones.

Back